Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10873

• familyguy12345
  • familyguy12345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I received a Barbados Cherry Bonsai as a gift, but unfortunately, it looks a bit sick. I don't see any bugs and there is new growth.
- Many of the leaves have a sticky residue on them and have holes (photo shows the holes).
- In addition, there is a white powder around the plant. (photo shows white powder on the soil)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be and how to make the cherry bonsai better. Thanks for your ideas!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10874

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi there,

Well since you say you can´t find any bugs around your tree I´m inclined to say that probably what the plant is lacking is the use of a fertilizer. You´ll see, when the leaves start showing little holes, the problem might be the lack of potasium. So, if this is the case I recomend you to use a fertilizer with a good NPK balance, if possible a 10:10:10, since I´m also inclined to think that if it is defficient in Potasium, it could be defficient in Nitrogen and Phosphorus as well.

Hope it helps,

Alain

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10875

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Sounds like an aphid attack, I hope you are not keeping it inside, as that will not help. White fly are very small and leave a sticky substance on the leaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: familyguy12345

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10876

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
i agree with m5eaygeoff, it is most likely to be white fly, get a systematic insecticide now and use it and put your tree outside in an open greenhouse or a stand or something.

jaimin

p.s good luck!

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10879

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well I was mistaken. Next time I'll give it a second thought before commenting. I do hope your tree can make it... Good luck!

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10881

• familyguy12345
Thank you everyone, for the rapid and thoughtful responses. Such a great forum!

Bob and m5eaygeoff, I will definitely get the systematic insecticide and treat it as whitefly.
Alainleon1983, no worries. Your advice is appreciated and still helpful - my next question was about recommendations for fertilizer. Perfect!

I will let everyone know how the treatment works.

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10885

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good, I´m glad to be of help. And yes... keep us all posted with your progress.

One thing about fertilizers: Nitrogen developes a better growth of leaves and stems, Phosphorus augment the root growth and Potasium stimulates the growth of flowers and fruits. Also, in spring time you should use a fertilizer with higher ratios of Nitrogen, in summer a balanced one and in autumn it is time to prepare the tree for the coming winter and its dormant phase, so a low Nitrogen content fertilizer is advised.

Oh... and I prefer solid fertilizers, those that come in pellets. You´ll see, this way the release of nutrients is dosified by the times you water your tree or it rains. It is easy to tell when you need to fertilize again and, of course, a low risk of overdose is taken.

Alain

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10924

• familyguy12345
Update for anyone else who encounters this problem. m5eaygeoff and jaimin, moving the cherry outside and using the systemic treatment (neem oil) seemed to have helped.

It's been three days and although many of the leaves have fallen (due to the original infestation), the white bugs seem gone and the leaves are no longer sticky. Also, there is new leaf growth at the end of several of the branches!

Now, looking at recovery and prevention. I will be re-treating the cherry with neem every week, but it looks like the soil does not drain the water quickly (I think it was planted in normal potting soil).

I would like to repot the cherry to a better draining mix, but am not sure if it's too soon to do so. Any suggestions on repotting? Should I wait a few weeks while the cherry recovers? But if I wait too long, I am afraid that I have to wait until Fall to repot. Thanks for any ideas!

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 10 months ago #10925

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi there,

If you want to repot your cherry now it is the time, that is end of spring, otherwise you would have to wait up to late autumn to do so.
As for the soil, everyone seems to have different opinions regarding this issue. It is also said that each individual, given time, should be able to prepare its own mix according to the tree species, the weather, the time of the year... But, as a good approximation I think you could use a basic soil mix... 60% or 70% akadama, 30% or 20% lava rock and 10% organic material (maybe peat). This soil mix would guarantee a proper drainage, together with a good water retention capability and aeration of the roots.

P.D: It is great that your cherry has responded well to the systemic treatment.

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Sick Barbados Cherry Bonsai - pls help! 9 years 9 months ago #10950

• familyguy12345
Thanks, alainleon1983! I just repotted the cherry and looking forward to a speedy recovery!

• Page: