Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15256

• Justinvd
  • Justinvd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
This morning I discovered that my cherry tomato is eaten (and not a little), I isolated all plant standing close. I see no caterpillars or beetles (so it must be small and/or flying). It stands on a windowsill facing south. In front the balcony outside is only a mint plant with some lice but it has been sprayed. I do not assume that this is because I do not see lice on this plant and lice do not eat leaves. If anyone knows what it could be and what I can be done about it, tell me. I have several seeds so I can start over but this one stands for a while ^^ I know this isn't the right forum but maybe someone might be able to help me out.

Ps I check my plant a few times a day so it must be done quickly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15257

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

This morning I discovered that my cherry tomato is eaten

How exactly is that bonsai-related ? Why not ask here: forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tomato ?

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15259

• Justinvd
I know it is not really bonsai related but pests and diseases are also common on bonsai. If you do not want to answer because it is not bonsai related or simply because you don't know that is fine, I just thought that there could be someone on this forum who could spare a minute to help me out. Thank you for your link, i'll ask there.

Last edit: Post by Justinvd.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15260

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I know it is not really bonsai related but pests and diseases are also common on bonsai

It's not 'not really' related, it's not related period.

Guidelines for treating diseases on trees may be entirely different then those for fruit (especially if you intend to eat them).

I've given you a good answer.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15262

• Justinvd
Okay fine, what you want. This topic is mainly for identifying the possible disease so that I can then look it up on the internet. It is still related by the way, a caterpillar on a tree looks still the same than on a fruit tree. The symptoms are the same, the caterpillar is the same, the only think that can be different is the treatment. Thank you for your "good answer"

Last edit: Post by Justinvd.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15263

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Okay fine, what you want. This topic is mainly for identifying the possible disease so that I can then look it up on the internet. It is still related by the way, a caterpillar on a tree looks still the same than on a fruit tree.

Nope. Tomatoes attract different bugs and have different diseases then, for example, pines

vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Diag...mWlt/TomWiltKey.html
extension.psu.edu/pests/plant-diseases/a...sheets/pine-diseases

(There, another good link for you)

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15264

• Justinvd
Ofcourse pines have different diseases than tomatoes. Pines have needles and no leaves. Diseases like spider mites for example occur on cherry tomatoes and for example on acers. My point is there are common diseases, and therefore this topic can be related to bonsai. I end this discussion here because it is useless having a discussion with someone who always wants to be right. (yes i have seen your discussions in the past)

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15265

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I end this discussion here because it is useless having a discussion with someone who always wants to be right. (yes i have seen your discussions in the past)

Yes, I like to be right, and that's why I don't want to advise on tomatoes - as I have no knowledge about tomatoe diseases, like Tomato Hornworm which I don't think you'll find in acers, or other tomato specific diseases

The advice you'll get here from bonsai enthousiasts just won't be as good as the advice from tomatoe growers.
And it's off topic.

There's enough information to find to solve your tomato problem and if you can't find what I can find, you're just being lazy.

I'll have asked the moderator to remove this thread.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15266

• Nhpete
Might be justinvd just wants a rise from a pompous bonsai enthusiast. I guess he got his kicks. Lol.....

Cherry tomato 9 years 1 week ago #15267

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Gut feeling: You probably have Weevil(s). THey come out in the dark. Eat the edges, and then hide in the pot and/or below something.
The grubs are the real problem.

In my garden I have a snail infestation at the moment, which make all my veggies grow smaller each night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Contrainer

• Page: