Fungus, rust in junipers

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Fungus, rust in junipers was created by redman85

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15477
Hello everyone

I have been reading about fungus in junipers and in this website it says that is not curable. I would like to ask you guys what can you tell me about that. I would appreciate it your comments
by redman85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by redman85 on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15478
I live on the third floor of an apartment building. And on the ground floor there are some shrubs that look infected. Can the spores travel to my deck and infect my trees?
by redman85

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Auk on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15480
Yes they can. If they can infect your trees would depend on the type of trees you have.
The standard advise would be to burn the infected trees.
Last Edit:8 years 11 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redman85

Replied by redman85 on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15482
its fungicide useless against this disease ?
by redman85

Fungus, rust in junipers - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by Auk on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15483

redman85 wrote: its fungicide useless against this disease ?

Yes. The only cure against pear rust is removing all junipers in the neighbourhood.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_sabinae

But as said, it depends on the trees you have. Not all trees, and even not all junipers, are susceptible to it.
Last Edit:8 years 11 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Auk.

Replied by Orlando on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15485
In a monthly newsletter from a bonsai club in Netherlands, there was an article about it.And Exact from Bayer had (some) results.I think it was bonsai club rijnmond but I'm not sure.

Cheers
by Orlando

Replied by leatherback on topic Fungus, rust in junipers

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15524
Rust cannot be cured, and is very dificult to prevent as you will have to spray fungicide at the time of pollen-spreading, which can take place over several months in late summer..

The spores of the fungus do NOT move from juniper to juniper, but from juniper to -other host plant- and then back to juniperus.

Unfortunately, many plant species in the rosaceae group can be the midlle-host. (Apple and hawthorn amongst the most often found species).
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983, redman85