Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18174

• willatarchi
  • willatarchi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi All,
I'm new to this but have bought a lovely big bonsai in September (I'm not sure what the specie it is, but it flowers tiny white flowers). I'm sure I was told it was evergreen, but within the first month or so in the flat, it lost most of the leaves (might be just adjusting to the environment)

Since purchasing the plant, I have noticed the leaves were sticky. The tree lost of leaves (90% of leaves went brown in Oct/Nov). I gave it a good wash and leaves seems to be growing back (it seems to be growing some new leaves in the last month). I have also brought fungicide (for mildew/black spot), which I spray once a week.

However, the stickiness has not gone away and I have noticed the white growth on the trunks (see pics). The stickiness is so bad that not only are the leaves sticky, but it makes the areas around the tree sticky (eg the floor around the plant; the table which the plant sits on).

I don't see any crawling bugs, so I guess it must be fungus. (?) Maybe I just need to spray the fungicide more frequently? But I don't want to harm the tree, so I thought I should ask for advice before spraying a lot of chemical on it.

I have read somewhere that it is good to keep spiders on the tree (they eats pests). I found 2 when I was washing down the tree 2 month ago when all the leaves were brown. At the time, I suspected the stickiness might be due to the spiders, so I washed them away. Is this a good thing? (how do I re-introduce spiders)

Lastly, if you happen to know what species my bonsai is, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18175

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I'm new to this but have bought a lovely big bonsai in September (I'm not sure what the specie it is, but it flowers tiny white flowers).

First advice: before you buy a bonsai, try to find out what type of tree suits your environment. When you buy it, make sure what species you are buying. Seems you have had a tree for more than three months, without knowing what it is, and without knowing how to properly care for it.

I'm sure I was told it was evergreen, but within the first month or so in the flat, it lost most of the leaves (might be just adjusting to the environment)

Probably the environment, indeed, combined with improper care.

Since purchasing the plant, I have noticed the leaves were sticky.

Most likely caused by bugs, and as, you write:

I don't see any crawling bugs

it's likely it is a non-crawling bug. I'm guessing scale-insects.

plantcaretoday.com/causes-sticky-leaves-...-help-treatment.html

I gave it a good wash. I have also brought fungicide (for mildew/black spot), which I spray once a week.

none of the above will help against scale insects.

so I guess it must be fungus.

I think the fungus is the result, not the cause.

Maybe I just need to spray the fungicide more frequently?

Don't spray more than what the directions that came with the fungicide tell you.

(how do I re-introduce spiders)

Spiders won't fix this problem.

Lastly, if you happen to know what species my bonsai is, please let me know.

I think that's a Ligustrum.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18176

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Hi there,
Dont mean to be rude or anything but i looked at the photos on a big screen carefully and judging by the way the leaves come out of the buds and the rughtness of the bark the tree looks more like a fukien tea to me . Im just saying because ive got one and most of my leaves are falling off aswell since ive had to move it about alot lately and it looks alot like it . But ive got no idea what the pest/disease could be
Regards
Nico

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18177

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
From what I can tell, I would say it looks like a fukien tea, too.

Better photos of the leaves would help us identify it more accurately, though

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18182

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Dont mean to be rude or anything

I assure there's nothing rude about that.

Hard to determine though, there's only one leaf we can sort of see. Looked to pointy to me for a carmona, but I'm not saying you're wrong. A close up would help.

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18186

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Check out woolly apids and how to treat them. Pretty sure that is the white stuff you see on the trunk, which is also causing your tree to be sticky; The sicky stuff is cause by the exrements n ths aphids, which consists of water & suger, for the most part.

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18188

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Maybe it got overlooked, but the information how to find and fight them, and how to clean up the 'sticky', was in the link I posted:

plantcaretoday.com/causes-sticky-leaves-...-help-treatment.html

Sticky Bonsai leaves 8 years 3 months ago #18261

• willatarchi
  • willatarchi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,
Thank you for your helpful messages. I've ordered some Neem oil for the plant. Hopefully it will cure it.
I think the tree is a Fukien tea too, having looked at images online. I am keen to read more about it.
Hopefully my next post will inform you all of a healthy recovery of my bonsai!!!
Happy new year.
W

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: