Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Fungus Gnats? Related watering question 8 years 2 months ago #19431

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

so how's the gnats doing, just wondering?

Amazing! It has completely cleared up! It turns out I was overwatering and I had no idea! I was using all the advice I had read about waiting for the soil to be dry to the touch, but it turns out the deeper soil was still a little damp in between waterings. I was also mistaken as I had read that some types of Bonsai species will dry out and lose leaves, but the Ficus Ginseng I have is somewhat tolerant to drought (this was my fault for not reading carefully enough).

I think it was Cronic who suggested using a chopstick to check the moisture below the surface. I've actually been using a Kabob skewer and it gives me pretty good information. I had been watering about once every 7-8 days, but it turns out it is actually between 10-14 days before the soil is dry. As I said, I'm currently inside with this one, and the environment is remarkably consistent.

I do think I have a problem with my soil though, so I think that is my next move. I've read that Bonsai soil should drain pretty well and have aeration, and I think mine is just sitting in potting soil. I've been reading up and when spring comes around I'm planning on picking up a species of larch from a nursery as I've been told they are well suited to my geography and decent for beginners, and I want to have good soil and setup.

But this one is looking very healthy and no gnats/flies! As it grows I'm also seeing why this is not even a "pre-bonsai," as it is so small and was so clearly chopped in half I doubt even a master with 300 years could make it nice, but I'm really having fun practicing keeping it alive, learning how to diagnose its health, and where to find good information as I get ready to invest in real material.

Never would have guessed that over watering a tree would have caused "gnats" neither, pesky little boogers. ...soil is a really a really complex subject, unless you have rotting banana, or apple peels, in there, oh never mind. Gnats and flies can live in dirt.

No if I were to spend three hundred years on this, i bet i would be able to fix it, at least know when toss it. Bonsai is an art of patience, sometimes it takes a while.

good thing the gnats went away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.