Bonsai forum

Mugo Pine Disease

• DustyD29
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Mugo Pine Disease was created by DustyD29

Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago #20132
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what kind of disease my mugo pine has. It looks like it has several diseases due to descriptions I have found online. I'm going to attach pictures, the one I can't find much information on is when the pine needles look burnt, almost like the tips of burning cigarettes (ash).
by DustyD29

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic Mugo Pine Disease

Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago #20137
can't realy say what it is.. but for a mugo pine, the rest of the needles look very pale and unhealthy..
might be a problem with the roots..

what conditions are you keeping it in? (place, watering, soil, how long have you got it,...)
by Cronic

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Mugo Pine Disease

Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago #20142
It looks like needle cast to me, but certainly not a pine expert...

But the tips being removed could also be due to a caterpillar (Check closely whether you see a little ball of needle bits. In it there will be a larvea. Remove this).
by leatherback

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Mugo Pine Disease

Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago #20144
Hi there,

My 2 cents... I had a Mugo Pine myself, bought on September 2014. In October of the same year it was completely re-styled (prunning and wiring). It was not repotted at the time because it was not the right time to do so (winter was coming and trees need all of the resources gathered during the growing season), despite the fact that the substrate was awfully compacted and water didn´t penetrate quite well, ergo oxygen provided to the roots was insufficient. At the beginning of spring of 2015 my son was born, so I neglected my trees and this Mugo specifically, was not repotted as it should. Then I read in bonsai4me.com that Mugos can be more successfully repotted at mid summer, so I thought I still had a chance and once more I delayed the neccesary repotting. In June approximately needles began to turn brown at the tips and the new candles it had sproutted, also began to turn brown. Desperately I decided I should wait no longer, so I performed the "emergency" repotting. When I dug the tree out, the rootball was massively compacted and the feeder roots were either black and crispy to the tact or brown (they should be clearer, from light yellow to a somehow darkish white). So, even if it was now in a far better substrate it was already a doomed tree. One month later the tree was dried, completely brown and, of course, dead.

So, after all this story my advice... Try to remove the whole tree from its pot, without disturbing too much the roots. If, and only if, the rootball is compacted, permanently wet beneath the surface and the feeder roots are turning brown do the "emergency" repotting. If this is not the case, then yes you can start looking again for diseases/pests that might be affecting your pine needles.

Alain
by alainleon1983

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Mugo Pine Disease

Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago #20145
Looks like Needle blight.

Compare with this:
learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A2620.PDF
Last Edit:8 years 3 weeks ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Auk.