Boxwood strange decaying foliage

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Boxwood strange decaying foliage was created by eangola

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21732
Hi guys, I have this boxwood I got from walmart some time ago. It was a sort of neglected shrub. I re-potted the shrub and thinned it to start training it as bonsai/

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The tree has been growing just fine, but it seems to be sick. Some of its leaves are going dull and falling. Generally they start going brown at the tip, or have tiny holes in them. I sprayed with a very light organic insecticide soap, but I really can't see any bugs. The tree gets good feeding, watering. Below, pictures of some diseased leaves:

Thank you!
by eangola

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic Boxwood strange decaying foliage

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21738
How many of the leaves look like that? I have a boxwood, that loses leaves along those lines(turning yellowish), but generally only from the inside of the plant, where the leaves are not getting light and often the leaves will grow back there. The other leaf looks like you have two holes in it, and that the damage came from somewhere else. I've read that boxwoods can get some sort of fungus infections, but your tree looks fairly healthy... are all of the yellow leaves in one place? The recommendations that I've read were to remove the leaves, and be sure to disinfect the scissors. For boxwood shrubs, it is said that it should be protected from the sun after being cut, and never cut during full sun, in the evening so that it has time to recover, as the sap can cause burns on some of the leaves. That might also be a possibility, depending on when you cut, and how... but I'm not an expert. The tree looks healthy from the full shot. But like I said, I'm not an expert.
by tubaboy

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Boxwood strange decaying foliage

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21743
Overall it looks good.

The little white things above your thumb nail, looks like bug damage, it's to be expected. I just don't see any wide spread damage on the big picture up there.

The leaf with the circle ... if that's the only one like that, and it's driving you nuts, cut it off.

The yellow tips, oh my, it could be to much water, or it could be, not enough water, or maybe it's just to hot, but since you never even bothered to put where your at, in your profile, i can't check your weather and say.

Maybe your afraid we'll go to Timbuktu or where ever and steal your tree.

Except for the yellow tips, it looks fine. Oh those tips will be there all summer, if the new leaves, keep doing that, let us know.
by Samantha

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Boxwood strange decaying foliage

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21772
Yellowing of leaf margins is a sign of Ca deficiency. Apply a calcium rich fertilizer next time you fertilize.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: eangola

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by eangola on topic Boxwood strange decaying foliage

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21799
Do you know of any good fertilizer with Ca?

Currently I am using slow - release "bonsai" fertilizer pellets, and supplementing twice a week with a little organic fish fertilizer mixed with water.

Maybe increasing the fish fertilizer dose would help?
by eangola

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by eangola on topic Boxwood strange decaying foliage

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21803
I don't supplement twice a week... sorry, I meant once biweekly. i don't know why I can't edit posts I wrote on my phone.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by eangola
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by eangola.