Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25892

• OfficialRyGuy
  • OfficialRyGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

I am a beginner bonsai owner and looking at a few things with a newly purchased bonsai. It was discount at a Saturday Market sale which made me think it was a steal. Upon getting it home, I noticed some of the leaves were a bit dark and have in the last 8 days, have gotten worse and spread. I am wondering if it has a disease or is naturally turning due to autumn being upon us. If someone could also hel;p identify the gender of the plant, I would also appreciate it. I am looking at repotting sometime and would like to get the appropriate male or female style pot. Attached are two pics. Thanks in advance for your help!

- Ryan

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25898

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

If someone could also hel;p identify the gender of the plant, I would also appreciate it. I am looking at repotting sometime and would like to get the appropriate male or female style pot.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm wondering, am I understanding correctly that you are asking whether the plant is male or female, so you can buy the right pot?

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25935

• OfficialRyGuy
  • OfficialRyGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
That, and if that darkening in the leaves is autumn happening or a disease that needs treating.

I am to understand I would want a round pot for females and a more squared pot for male trees.

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25937

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Ehm.. this plant is still years away from pot selection. Grow the trunk to the size you need. Develop primary and secundairy branches. Then think small pots..

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25941

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I am to understand I would want a round pot for females and a more squared pot for male trees.

You've got that quite wrong. The gender of the tree is irrelevant. It's the looks that count. If it is male looking, you get a squared, sturdy, robust pot. If it is female, you get a rounded, elegant, preferably pink pot.

New member with new bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25942

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
By the way:

I think that's a Prunus Incisa Kojo-no-mai.

I see many people, new to bonsai, not taking enough research into their future-to-be-here bonsai. The materials and accessories you will need regularly will astound you, so study up! Many bonsai forums are filled with information that make your life easier, but what about that you that didn’t have much say? You are now growing plants you may question or hate because you didn't research it enough. Well dude, here’s your list of things to get that will make your job easier too:

www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics%20LearningToWalk.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madartej21

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: