Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Yellow Azalea Leaves 7 years 5 months ago #27326

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

It's autumn where I live and my Azalea hasn't lost it's leaves, nor has any of them turned anything but green. But I wonder if some Azalea have yellow leaves?

Apparently. See the photo.
All my azaleas do that. In case it wasn't clear: azaleas can be deciduous. Better to look up what you have, rather than to cut, repot, fertilize, prune a tree because it's dropping its leaves in autumn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Yellow Azalea Leaves 7 years 5 months ago #27337

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54

It's autumn where I live and my Azalea hasn't lost it's leaves, nor has any of them turned anything but green. But I wonder if some Azalea have yellow leaves?

Apparently. See the photo.
All my azaleas do that. In case it wasn't clear: azaleas can be deciduous. Better to look up what you have, rather than to cut, repot, fertilize, prune a tree because it's dropping its leaves in autumn.

Good advice. I was going to plant mine is a raised bed and let it grow for a few years. Perhaps one of my club members knows exactly what I have.
Looks like I have home work

Yellow Azalea Leaves 7 years 2 months ago #29393

• TulsaBonsai
  • Thanks received: 1
I've ran into this with my azaleas..... had like 5-6 I was growing on pots from a nursery. Still haven't got the problem quite solved but here I things I've found.

1. azaleas hate stress and can't tolerate much, must be kept outdoors, and need acidity in the soil, ph is important.
2. they also HATE being pruned much. they don't respond well, if growing it in the ground for a bush.... most say to never prune it.
3. DONT EVER EVER fertilize your azaleas when it is looking sick. This may have been the problem, lightly and less frequent with azaleas and fertilizer.... and must use the acid kind
4. Depending on the timeline.... it may actually be a nutrient deficiency.... can't quite remember... but iron I believe is what causes that, but a few others do as well.

My best guess is you combined: root and limb pruning + fertilize (never after a root prune IMO) + repotting + wrong environment
Mine all died a slow death when this set in....