Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Getting worried 7 years 2 months ago #28879

• RNinjA81
  • RNinjA81's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I am new to the whole Bonsai Tree growing. Got my hands on some Japanese Black Pine and planted them about 3-4 weeks ago with no hopes of success as I suck at gardening. I followed the soaking process and planted a total of 9 seeds about 1" apart. Boom after week one I had 2 sprouts. These guys are now over 2" all and seem to be growing well. The tallest one has a new bud starting to grow out of the center. I got curious about the other seeds since they have not shown any signs of growth. upon digging I found that a couple of them looked to be cracked open like a pistachio while the rest seemed to have enlarged and become a light brown. Also upon digging, I have found 2 round worms, translucent white in color with streaks of black which I assume is dirt they have ingested. they are probably 1/2 - 3/4 of a cm in length. Not near the plants but close to the open seeds. I am worried these are parasites and not tiny little earthworms. So far the 2 that are actually growing seem to be healthy and strong, but I would have for these worms to end up eating or causing harm to the roots and me not knowing about it.
Do I need to remove these worms or re-pot my plants into some new , fresh soil with some fertilizer beads? Any help or suggestions would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting worried 7 years 2 months ago #28883

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
a picture vss a thousands words..

Google images for fungus gnats larvae. Is that what you have?

Getting worried 7 years 2 months ago #28885

• RNinjA81
The image from google look like maggots and have a definitive black head where the mouth would be. They also look way more clear and translucent that what I saw. These worms did not seem to have any apparent head such as these pictures. I will try later to dig one up later and post a picture. I was at lunch when I noticed.

Getting worried 7 years 2 months ago #28887

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

So I am new to the whole Bonsai Tree growing.
I suck at gardening.

:unsure:

Getting worried 7 years 2 months ago #28888

• RNinjA81
This is the closest thing I could find on what I found. This example is a bit longer than what I saw. I guess based on the article this was posted with, this may be a "compost worm". Still not sure.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: