Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35083

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I recently have discovered A white cotton like ball under a piece of the bark on my Larch here..

Mealy Bugs:

Mealy bugs will appear as little cotton balls sitting on the leaves and branches of your bonsai. The insects hide within the little “balls” and are protected by wax-like coverings. They can commonly be seen in patches or clumps. During re-potting, and any other time when you notice symptoms, you should also examine your plant for root mealy bugs.

Symptoms: Your tree's growth will be slowed or stunted and leaves will droop and turn yellow. Mealy bugs can also cause the development of black sooty mold.

Treatment: You can treat your bonsai with either a contact or systemic insecticide. If you have a recurring issue with mealy bugs, an initial contact solution will be effective, but you may wish to use a systemic treatment to prevent re-infestation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrahamD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35085

• GrahamD
  • GrahamD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I thought it may be - but wasn't 100% sure. I can find tonnes of insecticides online, any idea of brands that are safe for bonsai trees? or are they all relatively harmless? Apologies, newb questions all day from me eh.

Thank you for your help and time for writing. I appreciate it.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35087

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Thank you for your help and time for writing. I appreciate it.

Graham, don't thank me, thank Google.
I had the same problem with an infestation of Mealy Bugs in an Adenium sometime ago, and found this (and many other useful information) simply by googling it.
Good luck, they are not so difficult to control. :-)

• Page: