Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36005

• Ayre333
  • Ayre333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I have owned this bonsai for about 3 months now and I have been bringing it back to health. Now I want to start to take it to its next level. If I could have some tips and critiques of what you see that would be great. Keep in mind winter is coming up soon and I know my bonsai will go through a dormant phase. So if there are any experienced people out there. What are some tips for me going into the winter season? Thank you!

Images are of my bonsai today at its current state.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36006

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
This is Ficus, and I don't know where you would have seen that has a dormant period, but tropical species like this don't.
I am not sure what kind of soil it is in, but it does not look good. There is not much to say about it really, maybe put it in a flower pot and let it grow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ayre333

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36007

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

So I have owned this bonsai for about 3 months now and I have been bringing it back to health.

You have owned a Ficus ginseng that is often sold as bonsai, but really is not.

Now I want to start to take it to its next level. If I could have some tips and critiques of what you see that would be great.

If you really are into bonsai, I 'd recommend to get other material.

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36022

• Ayre333
By you mean "does not look good." Do you mean to say that the aesthetic isn't right or do you mean that this isn't the right soil to have it in?

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36023

• Ayre333
Could you possibly elaborate on what it means to "get other material?"

If it is not a Bonsai I am surprised to see it classified as one on this website. I have failed to read anywhere within this source or anywhere else that it isn't a bonsai. But I appreciate the feedback and look into that topic a little more.

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36024

• Ayre333
Upon reviewing what it means to have a Mallsai I see where you are coming from. My tree is, in fact, a Bonsai but was sold as a Mallsai. I had re-potted it and am bringing it into a true state of a Bonsai. But to say that the species of Ficus are not Bonsai is wrong I believe.

My info was found at this source:
www.instructables.com/id/Bonsai-Basics-1-Rescuing-Mallsai/

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36027

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Upon reviewing what it means to have a Mallsai I see where you are coming from. My tree is, in fact, a Bonsai but was sold as a Mallsai.

No, your tree was sold as a bonsai, but it is not.

Bonsai is the art of creating a miniaturized, but realistic impression of a tree in nature.

A mallsai is a cheap, mass-produced version of it, looking like a bonsai, but with low quality and low artistic value.

Your tree is neither, it is a houseplant, made to mimic a bonsai. It does not look like a real tree. The monstrous roots are out of proportion. The top is cut off and new foliage from another ficus species is grafted on top of it.

I had re-potted it and am bringing it into a true state of a Bonsai.

This will be very challenging and nearly impossible, especially for a beginner. You will hardly be able to make the roots look acceptable. You will hardly be able to get rid of the ugly scar where the plant is grafted. It will be easier to start with an ordinary ficus - or even a cheap ficus mallsai from a garden center (I have found some that are actually not too bad - not that I have them, I cannot grow them outdoors and do not do indoor bonsai).

But to say that the species of Ficus are not Bonsai is wrong I believe.

I think you got that wrong. Bonsai is NOT a tree species, it is an art, using techniques to miniaturize trees. Ficus is suitable for bonsai, but your Ficus is not good starter material.

My info was found at this source:
www.instructables.com/id/Bonsai-Basics-1-Rescuing-Mallsai/

That's not really a website about bonsai... but also the tree is very different from yours - it is not the typical fat root Ginseng.
Yes, there are people that try and make bonsai out of these plants, but these are rare, the guys doing it are experienced bonsai growers, and still, the results are not really that great.

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36037

• Ayre333
There is a lot of power in the imperfection of my Bonsai and how it is a work in progress and I don't see it as impossible to make it look good over time. I believe the lens through which you see Bonsai is only for advance participators in this hobby. I'm trying to keep a healthy specimen and take care of it properly. I also am using it as a form of experimental art style. I find it okay to break out of the norm. And at the end of the day, if or not you find this species appealing, that is pure opinion. The odd root is one of its best qualities as to how foreign it looks as if it could be found on another planet. It truly is a beautiful plant and it will one day be even better over time.

Also, your definition of the difference between a Mallsai and a Bonsai contains fundamental logical fallacies, alongside your poor simile of plants to fishes, don't apply properly how you would like it to. A better change would be, "The difference between bonsai and mallsai is like the difference between Koi and less healthy developed Koi." Both are trying to complete the same task, just one is doing one better than the other for the time being. Also, I suggest changing your name from Auk to Mallsai Cop.

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36041

• 333Adriaan333
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 26
We all have our own opinion on what is what and how is how but no need to get aggressive Ayre if you don't like auk post then ignore it

Bonsai Critique Please 6 years 6 months ago #36043

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I believe the lens through which you see Bonsai is only for advance participators in this hobby

Thank you. I do not mind that you like this plant. I even do not mind that you think it looks nice. I do not mind that you are not an 'advanced participator'. What I do find disappointing is that you are clearly not willing to learn. You want to believe that what you have is good bonsai material. It is not.

As a picture says more than a thousand words:

This is a Ficus bonsai, created by someone who knows the art, who got good material to start with, spent lots of time studying, practicing and working patiently to refine this tree. This is a unique piece:

These are cheap mass product without any artistic value, ordinary house plants made to mimic bonsai, without a future as real bonsai. This particular vendor produces 100.000 per year. There are far more growers - and many of them are capable of producing even far more.

I hope you see the difference.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: