Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniperus Chinensis 6 years 3 weeks ago #38724

• Teye01
  • Teye01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 13
Hello everybody
I don't have a lot of threads, or post at all really, so I thought it was about time to start (a new) one. It's a juniperus Chinensis, which I have had for about a year now. I do really like the tree, but there is still a lot of work to do. But where’s the fun of getting a tree that is completely done?
I did some pruning yesterday to get more light into the tree and stimulate backbudding. Quite a bit was pruned off, but the tree is healthy and will probably get over it. I will have to see how the tree grows this year to know if I will do some wiring in autumn. But I also want to repot next year and for me the repotting is more important. But I’ll have to wait anyways. I'd rather go slow, than do too much.
The tree requires some work, but I like that and I can really see a beautiful tree in it. I really hope that the image I have for this tree in my head will work out.
I like fact that the tree is getting some shrivelling bark (or how do you say that?). Gives the tree a bit more.... flair :).

As always, pictures of my trees don't look how I see them, because you can't see the depth and the open spaces very well. Anyway, it gives a good idea. I also made a short video so you can see the tree a bit better. It isn't the best quality, cause for some reason my file was huge and wrong so I had to do all kinds of stuff (even I don’t know what I did) to get it right, but you get the idea and you can see it pretty okay.
I made this thread to see the progression myself and that others could see it. Tips and tricks are always welcome (and a salted opinion as well, of course :)).
Teye

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Teye01.

Juniperus Chinensis 6 years 2 weeks ago #38737

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
Very good material. Im looking forward what you can manage to get out of it on the long run.

I hope I can get my hands on a chinensis some day :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teye01

Juniperus Chinensis 6 years 2 weeks ago #38752

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I like your juniper, but I think it needs a branch to the right, there's a very long straight section of the trunk with no branching.
Perhaps a graft (I really don't know how easy or difficult it is to graft branches on junipers) would solve this little "problem"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teye01

Juniperus Chinensis 6 years 2 weeks ago #38807

• Teye01
  • Teye01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 13

Very good material. Im looking forward what you can manage to get out of it on the long run.

I hope I can get my hands on a chinensis some day :)

Thanks! You really should. They are very nice to work with.

I like your juniper, but I think it needs a branch to the right, there's a very long straight section of the trunk with no branching.
Perhaps a graft (I really don't know how easy or difficult it is to graft branches on junipers) would solve this little "problem"?

I understand what you're saying, but I think it will be solved after wiring. The branch above will be more down and it wil "cover it up". Also, if I would graft, the tree would be One: too full and Two: you will get two branches too close to eacother and it will stop (cancel?, can’t find the word) the effect of the long, low first branch. That low, long first branch is a bit of the prime characteristic of the tree. Also also, all the branches are already looking pretty old and are pretty thick. If you would graft, the branch will always look kind of out of place. And I have never grafted before and if it goes wrong (or even if it does succeed), it might not be very good looking on the tree.
Thanks for your reply! Really like the insight!

Is it just me, or am I getting very little replies? I saw that people were complaining that there aren’t enough "real" bonsai threads, I present to you something that someday might come close to a real bonsai and I get two replies. I don't care if you started yesterday or thirty years ago. If you have useful imsight, I will use it. Just a debate about bonsai is also very nice. Just say what you think is good or not so good. I can take some criticism guys! It might also be my fault, because I didn't ask a question or ask for opinions, but I thought that that was what a forum is about; talking about (in this case) bonsai.
Thanks for the replies I have gotten though! I really shouldn't be complaining, as two is more than one and one is more than zero and appreciate everything I get.

Juniperus Chinensis 6 years 2 weeks ago #38812

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I understand what you're saying, but I think it will be solved after wiring. The branch above will be more down and it wil "cover it up". Also, if I would graft, the tree would be One: too full and Two: you will get two branches too close to eacother and it will stop (cancel?, can’t find the word) the effect of the long, low first branch. That low, long first branch is a bit of the prime characteristic of the tree. Also also, all the branches are already looking pretty old and are pretty thick. If you would graft, the branch will always look kind of out of place. And I have never grafted before and if it goes wrong (or even if it does succeed), it might not be very good looking on the tree.

I´m going to agree with Clicio. There is way to much blank space to the right of that Juniper. I don´t think a second branch in that position would "cancel" the effect of the first one, since it´s strong and very well developed. Lowering the higher branch onto that position might "camouflage" that blank space a bit, but I´m not sure how far you can bend it downwards before it snaps or that even if you do manage to lower it down enough, if it would look natural at all and not too forced in that position. In any case, I do think is a very nice material to work with and for that I´m also thankful that you posted it.

Is it just me, or am I getting very little replies? I saw that people were complaining that there aren’t enough "real" bonsai threads, I present to you something that someday might come close to a real bonsai and I get two replies. I don't care if you started yesterday or thirty years ago. If you have useful imsight, I will use it. Just a debate about bonsai is also very nice. Just say what you think is good or not so good. I can take some criticism guys! It might also be my fault, because I didn't ask a question or ask for opinions, but I thought that that was what a forum is about; talking about (in this case) bonsai.
Thanks for the replies I have gotten though! I really shouldn't be complaining, as two is more than one and one is more than zero and appreciate everything I get.

Ha... Come on friend! As you said you shouldn´t be complaining about the amount of replies you are getting. Yes, this is a Bonsai forum, but do notice that you also started this thread on a time (Easter time) where the majority of threads are getting a low amount of answers. And besides... Do take into account that the more you participate, not only in your threads but in others too, helping people out with their doubts and concerns, the more acquainted you´ll be for the rest of the forum members and the more answers you´ll get then. In any case, don´t take it as a personal issue, because most certainly it is not ;)

Alain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.
  • Page: