Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Collected boxwood - advice on branch reduction ple 5 years 11 months ago #39908

• Izzy85
  • Izzy85's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, I recently collected this boxwood and pruned and repotted it (probably too much to do at once!
I would really like to achieve nice branch taper on it and lots of ramifications on it in the future.
I am wondering which branches could be taken out of shortened and when. I was even considering chopping to the trunk and just keeping some of the better proportioned branches. Do I have to wait for some backbudding? Any advice would be appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Collected boxwood - advice on branch reduction ple 5 years 11 months ago #39910

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
branch taper is like trunk taper... the safest way to cut back a branch is if you have buds growing further up the branch than the end.. I would like the tree grow unhindered for a while after all that you have just done to it. boxwoods backbud easier than some species.

Collected boxwood - advice on branch reduction ple 5 years 11 months ago #39913

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
This is a very nice boxwood. Good find! With that also comes the.. Take it slow. This one is too nice to kill for being overworked.

I think there are big differences between responses to trimming in boxwood. I am not sure whether it is species or location. But some claim box does not backbud on branches without foliage. Others claim to defoliate the box. I have good experience with backbudding (but gave mine away as I do not like the species :)).

Let it grow for now. Then start wiring the young growth at the end of summer, ensuring the inside of the tree keeps getting light. If you have lots of foliage you can start pruning here and there. Next spring give it a full trim back and you should be well on your way of getting a nice tree. Very nice!.

• Page: