Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Japanese maple, multitrunk 5 years 11 months ago #40288

• Leung
  • Leung's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 8
I got my hands on this multitrunk japanese maple, and need some advice and ideas for future designing.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it has 4 trunks, 3 of which is dead straight, has nearly same thickness and with no movements. My idea is getting cutting one trunk of in the winter, so we have an odd number of trunks which is preferred with multitrunk bonsai. I am unsure which one to cut, and very afraid about the scaring - as seen on the picture the cutoff of one trunk by the previous owner is very clear and very easy to notice.

Second thing is what I should do about the equal thickness and non existing movement of those trunks. Can threadgraft at a lower point and the regrow the trunks be a solution?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Japanese maple, multitrunk 5 years 10 months ago #40301

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
If the plant is healthy, you can also decide to cut back, without a graft. Japanese mapes will backbud profusily after heavy trimming.

There is nothing you can do about the absense of movement in the trunks this size, except cutting back. As it is a fairly young plant (No real corkbark formed yet) you can probably get it to heal over without too much scarring.

Before you act, make sure you know what your gaeplan is with the final tree in mind.

Japanese maple, multitrunk 5 years 10 months ago #41082

• Woody3721
  • Thanks received: 2
Whichever trunk you decide to remove, early to midsummer is best as maples will heal more quickly at this time of year. Make a neat, concave cut and seal with cut paste to promote healing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leung

Japanese maple, multitrunk 5 years 10 months ago #41088

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 28
without a clear view of the entire tree, it's hard to advice

• Page: