Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 7 months ago #1362

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
You know J, now that I look back at the original photo of the *left-over trunk* I think your change of mind is a wise one. You will lose some air-roots but, more will grow and you will gain more room for canopy growth. How far down did you ring-bark it? Sounds like you plan on rooting another tree from this then?
I didn't know that ring-barking would stimulate branching lower down. That's a definite bonus for this tree! ;) Would like to see photos of what you've done, if you have time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #1922

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Net phase.. More trimming. Now I have another cutting sitting in the soil, and a short stem left over, with 60% of the roots removed..:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #1943

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ohhhhh yeahhh...you were right J, this is so much better. Excellent call on this one. ;) What a difference that has made! You still have banyan roots on both "and" you've organised them nicely. Some really nice shoots coming as well.

How much depth of soil do you have the piece that needs rooting in? I ask because it looks like only 3 inches or so in the photo.
By-the-way...the third photo is a beautiful shot! Makes for a lovely profile photo! Well done and, thanks for shariing! :)

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #2002

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Leslie,

Thanks for that.

The cut of piece indeed is in only a few inches of soil (If I had to guess, I would say less than 10cm, maybe even 5 (2 inches). However, due to the ring-barnking I have triggered rooting; One small root had appeared on the side. So that is covered by soil. It now sits on my office desk, as that is heated, and my living room is not (yet) except for the fire-place on cold evenings. Tropical plants root better when it is warm. So this morning I tied the branch in place in the dish with thin rope, placed it in the passanger seat, and carefully drove to work. Now I can watch it develop at work. Will just have to take it home once a month or so for wiring, when growth really returns. After rooting I will let it grow out for a few months, and then start shaping. The base is there. Now i just want it to grown a canopy & I will try to stimulate air root development. Pics will follow is something drastic happens.

cheers,

Jelle.

Did you notice my profile picture?

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #2041

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Jelle,

Yes, I definitely noticed your profile photo, which is why I commented on it. Excellent shot! I could picture you taking your *baby* to work with you...:P .

Wow! I was really surprised at how little depth of soil you planted it in but, then I thought "well, you already have the bulk of the trunk...makes sense". I'm wondering tho...there is not much taper to the trunk. Do you have plans for addressing that and, if so, how?

By-the-way, I luv the green pot you have planted it in. :cheer:

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #2097

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
At the moment I am not considering doing anything for taper. I have hope it will get better with time. Also, the tree might get another chop when it has rooted all the way. The cutting now sits on my desk at work where temperatures are nice and high. And.. During the day I spray it hourly to support rooting.

The main stem got a new pot today. I am not yet convinced, but this is the home for the winter. ANybody suggestions? Pehaps a bigger pot? Or let it settle in this one for a few months?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Ficus Elastica - Banyan Style 12 years 6 months ago #2099

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hmmmm...you know, the more I look at this pot the more I like it (with this plant). It's different yet, has a feel of Oriental elegance, don't you think? It's very feminine...reminds me of a dancer.

I would imagine this pot has roughly the same growth space in it as the other pot, right? The main thing to consider is, do you want the plant to form a bowl-shaped root system?

I like it...it's kind of "growing" on me. :lol: ...get it?..."growing"?

• Page: