Bonsai forum

Royal poinciana sapling from seed

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by Porgie91 on topic Royal poinciana sapling from seed

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43784

leatherback wrote: It looked happy. Let's hope the repot will not be an issue.

It would have been better to let the tree grow a bit before trimming. In the end you want it to grow a trunk which you will only get by letting it grow up.

I agree it does look quite a bit sadder now! in an ideal world I would have let it grow up a lot more. I was a little worried since it was shedding all its lower branches that if I left it too long i'd end up trimming back with no leaves to offer support to supplement the regrowth. The tree was diverting all its energy to growing up, dropping all leaves lower down (which isn't unusual for this tree since every branch creates a dense canopy).

Hopefully it's okay! I've seen a lot worse recover, and I think this tree is in good shape - I'll keep the thread up to date so people can learn from my mistakes =)
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by Porgie91
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Porgie91.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43814
A day after trimming I noticed some new little sprouts growing under the cut! Great news, this plant works fast :D
by Porgie91

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Royal poinciana sapling from seed

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43828

Porgie91 wrote: I was a little worried since it was shedding all its lower branches that if I left it too long i'd end up trimming back with no leaves to offer support to supplement the regrowth. The tree was diverting all its energy to growing up, dropping all leaves lower down (which isn't unusual for this tree since every branch creates a dense canopy).

I hope you realize that what you are referring to as branches, are in fact not branches but the leaves. Your plant does not have branches, and has not had branches yet. So what is has been dropping was lower leaves, leaving the buds. From these buds, side branches may grow.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porgie91

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44107

leatherback wrote:

Porgie91 wrote: I was a little worried since it was shedding all its lower branches that if I left it too long i'd end up trimming back with no leaves to offer support to supplement the regrowth. The tree was diverting all its energy to growing up, dropping all leaves lower down (which isn't unusual for this tree since every branch creates a dense canopy).

I hope you realize that what you are referring to as branches, are in fact not branches but the leaves. Your plant does not have branches, and has not had branches yet. So what is has been dropping was lower leaves, leaving the buds. From these buds, side branches may grow.

Thank you for the information, I did not know this! I've grown up in a cold climate, and although I spent a lot of my childhood planting tree's on the side of a mountain I don't have much technical experience with tropical species. The plant has grown back fast and now you can see some of the buds have developed a little!

This image is hidden for guests.
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Porgie91

Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Porgie91.

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45353
Latest progress. I think that’s a branch?

by Porgie91

• Blackwood
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by Blackwood on topic Royal poinciana sapling from seed

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45354
New growth after a day pruned is really impressive!!! I think the plant loves you so much.
by Blackwood

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53807
Hey guys, so I thought i'd update the post since it has been a while. The tree was unhappy for a long while due to the quality of the soil. I now fertilise a lot less and have gone for a more acidic balance. The tree is happy now and isn't dropping leaves. I'd also love some advice - I think it's probably time I trim the tree back again / or maybe I should wait for early spring?

Either I'm not very experience with trimming bonsai's and I'd love any advice about where you would trim / how you'd trim. I know the standard advice would be probably to let it grow more then trim, but I'm kind of running out of space. Appreciate any feedback!

It's also worth noting the sapling is nearing 2 years old now!

Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by Porgie91

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Porgie91.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Royal poinciana sapling from seed

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53813
I have no experience whatsoever with that species. Dont know how good it is on backbudding.

But I would get rid of that podium and repot it into a pot that is Wide as the podium and at the same height as today. That will give you a lot more soil to grow the tree faster.

Br
Magnus
by Tropfrog

• Porgie91
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53864
Hey!

It seems quite happy in this pot for now, but i'll buy it a new one for next spring. Species aside, this is a tropical, would you recommend cutting back before spring?

I'm at a loss to how far I can backbud it... I cut it back once before and it really didn't mind all that much, but I don't want to push my luck.
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by Porgie91
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Porgie91.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Royal poinciana sapling from seed

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53866
Hey, good to see this is still growing. I am a little sad to see the other buds that were pushing a little have not developed any further. It might be the light conditions. To be honest, I keep tropicals indoors in winter, but without grow lights normally. In summer outside as long as poossible.

Mine are now a little over one year old and still outside (Although in an unheated glass enclosure). They seem to be getting side-branches now.

I would not cut them now, but rather maybe next summer. But as said before.. To grow a tunk you need it to grow bigger and stronger.
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by leatherback
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by leatherback.