Bonsai forum

What trees are native to your region that you grow as bonsai?

• cwillette1994
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

What trees are native to your region that you grow as bonsai? was created by cwillette1994

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42339
Are there specific trees that grow in your region that you have gathered and grown as bonsai? What are they and how are they doing?
by cwillette1994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic What trees are native to your region that you grow as bonsai?

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42340
2 species that grow in my region now that i have in my collection are a rocky mountain juniper and crepe myrtle. the rocky mountain juniper is doing amazing and have never had any problems. the crepe myrtle all tho it is native to the Indian subcontinent, southeast Asia and northern Australia there are tons growing in my region and the one i have has been growing just fine in zone 9b even with the 105*+ we got this past week.
by crent89
The following user(s) said Thank You: cwillette1994

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25

Replied by leroycoutts on topic What trees are native to your region that you grow as bonsai?

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42341
Wrightia Riligiosa -(water jasmine)

Also collected a Chiflera, but don’t think that is native.
by leroycoutts

• cwillette1994
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by cwillette1994 on topic What trees are native to your region that you grow as bonsai?

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42348
Very nice. What kind of soil do you use for them and what kind of climate? I gathered a small sugar maple that I’m trying to let grow and then hopefully begin training in years to come. I use a turface, akadama, Sphagnum moss mixture for it. But most of my trees I use an akadama 50% perlite 35% and sphagnum 15% mix.
by cwillette1994