• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus benjamina - 3yr old raft 4 years 10 months ago #50090

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
This is the Ficus benjamina I have been working on for 3-4 years. It's definitely a chop and grow project. It's in week 2 of it's transition to outdoor living for the summer.

This started out as a raft cutting about 1 inch long and about a half inch wide. When taken as a cutting, the larger trunk was a new and small branch with 3 leaves, the mid-sized trunk was 1 leaf and the smallest/cascadey trunk stuff did not exist.

I made the pot myself, not for this project but when the growth I am trying to train to cascade started to develop it felt like a good choice. The main trunk is about as tall as I would like it to be and I am starting to work on rammification. Unfortunately, the main trunk is a super resource hog because they are all still connected by the original raft. Resource balancing amongst the trunks and developing branch structure on the largest trunk - priorities?
I need work on incorporating more movement in the smaller upright trunk (I took the first wires off to take these pictures). It's tough to do this, and choose a front, without crossing the largest trunk due to how close they are.

Otherwise, it's probably my favorite tree. The fact that I look at it all winter (compared to those that overwinter outdoors) and it is a hearty grower doesn't hurt.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus benjamina - 3yr old raft 4 years 10 months ago #50118

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hi Bunsen, Good to be your most viewed tree, and congrats for the pot.
I think it needs still more thickening of the trunk(s), and even if you say that it is as tall as you want it to be, I still feel it is too high.
To be honest, my priority would be the second trunk, more in proportion with the branch you want to cascade.
Keep us posted!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunsen33

Ficus benjamina - 3yr old raft 4 years 10 months ago #50270

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
I agree that all of the trunks need to be thicker. I just plan to let it grow as much as it can while outdoors this summer and then hack it all back in fall. It's due for a repot too, which I will likely do after it recovers from the cutback - probably in early January when we get back from our holiday travels. I also hope to separate the trunks from each other while its out of the pot, which should help with resource balancing. Last time I repotted it only the largest trunk had enough roots to sustain itself so I just left everything connected to the raft. Now I can see a good number of roots at the surface coming from the middle sized trunk. I'll need to do some investigation into the root quality of that horizontal growing 'trunk' prior to the repot though.

(I've probably made a good 40 pots by slab construction.)

• Page: