• Page:

TOPIC:

Big hawthorn stump ( long post) 4 years 10 months ago #50096

• lucR
  • lucR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
5 years ago i started with bonsai, from scratch but with a rather good horticultaral knowledge.
As it goes when you first start you see bonsai everywhere.. I passed a farmrer who was pulling an old hawthorn hedge with a bulldozer out of the ground. I asked the man if i could have some and he agreed. In my enthousiasm i collected the thickest/heaviest stumps , just chopped them off and loaded them in my car. Needless to say they had little fine roots left due to the brutal pulling out.I planted them all in my garden and watched them bud enormously the next spring
Picture right after collection

by the end of the summer it looked like this

Although it grew very strong i still had no idea where to go with this one, mainly due to lack of knowledge and fear of cutting off something valuable...
After another year i finally made the decision to cut away one of the two stumps and carve it up a bit .It looked better but i still wasnt happy, i kept having problems with the triple top.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Big hawthorn stump ( long post) 4 years 10 months ago #50097

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So, i finally made a big decision and cut off everything that was bothering me, and start fresh

At the end of last year it looked like this

Early spring i cut off the long growth, and wired it.

A month ago it already looked much better

today i had to take off all the wiring because it was already biting in the branches...
It has still a long way to go ( at least 5 years thickening branches and building ramification) but i already start to see the bonsai..

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae, *Sherlock*

Big hawthorn stump ( long post) 4 years 10 months ago #50119

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hey LucR, I love all about this tree!
The trunk, the uros, the deadwood, but mostly the direction you are giving to its development.
Very, very nice. But...
I guess it needs a more aggressive approach regarding the deadwood. As the branches develop in the right places, there is too much uneeded wood that for sure could be carved, transformed into jins or simply deleted from the movement of the tree.
I am sure you will find the best approach and please show us your results!
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucR

Big hawthorn stump ( long post) 4 years 2 weeks ago #57381

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
After looking at it all winter i decided to take it another step further( or backwards if you want). I cut off one of the three "tops" and extended the shari /deadwood to that former top/branch. Cut off a major part of the highest one and wired a small branch upwards. Also damaged the bark at the base of the top hoping on a new bud there so i can start over completely with that top, which is already looking better. The rest of the tree i rewired, shortened some parts, cut away other parts, bended other parts... slowly getting where i want...As usual the picture doesnt do justice to this tree, which i am starting to like...

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimo, Ricky73, Ivan Mann, *Sherlock*, FrankC

Big hawthorn stump ( long post) 4 years 2 weeks ago #57382

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
So nice to see progressions like this - thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucR

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: