Bonsai forum

Field Maple Development

• LaoTzu
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 8

Field Maple Development was created by LaoTzu

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53274
Hi

Normally post in the 'help' section but I am planning next stage for this Acer Campestre and thought I'd put in progressions to update in spring.

I have just let it develop in a pot, which has allowed trunk to thicken, but learnt some lessons as a 'newbie' - some time on nebari and branch direction as it grew would have saved time later... Plan for spring is a shallower wider pot to develop roots and a little flare at the base.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

A bit stuck on the crown - while earlier cuts have all but disappeared, this one wont as crown will never be allowed to grow out much. I tried to chop at an angle to help taper, but now have a flat slab, and developed an unsightly bulge as it has grown. Should I try to carve a 'V' and split tip? Or just remove all developed branches and leave a single leader from new growth...? Any thoughts welcome!

by LaoTzu

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46

Replied by Fonz on topic Field Maple Development

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53279
For the top: I'd cut it so you would have a new leader left and also a side branch. Also re-open the big old wound so it can start to heal again and callus over.
by Fonz
The following user(s) said Thank You: LaoTzu

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Field Maple Development

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53284
Hm.. i think the tree is really tall for the thickness of the trunk. I would probably chop lower. I understand you might not wat to do too many chops and would prefer to get a tree now... The highest wired branch on the right.. at that height is a small branch straight up. I think I would cut back to there. That would put the cut in the back. And you can grow out a new leader, without large subsequent cuts.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: LaoTzu

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Field Maple Development

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53286
Agree with Leatherback. (When in doubt go with the champion, right?)

An option here would be air layer about the second set of branches. That gives you the lower portion short and thick and a free tree from the top. Just an option.
by Ivan Mann
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, LaoTzu

• LaoTzu
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by LaoTzu on topic Field Maple Development

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53288
Thanks Leatherback, didnt want to admit it to myself but that thought had crossed my mind - impatience to see a tree in a garden full of projects... I feel you may have a point...

Ivan - hadnt even considered air layer... not a huge amount of interest in trunk, but would be good for learning...
by LaoTzu

• LaoTzu
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by LaoTzu on topic Field Maple Development

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56963
In the end took leatherback's advice and more - decided I was trying to get to end point too quickly, and was going for too much of a 'pine' style for a field maple. Chopped lower than originally planned - will need a little carving at some future point.

Had got quite pot bound so simply took a saw to bottom third of root ball and only teased out top layer. In much wider (18") and shallower pot to allow nebari to develop over next year or two, and will let top do its thing...

Was worried I may have been too brutal but top view shows new growth emerging from all sides...
by LaoTzu

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wojt333