Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help choosing a tree 4 years 3 months ago #55023

• Stoverock
  • Stoverock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right section for this. A local nursery's owner is retiring from bonsai so his stock is really reasonably priced. They tend to be a bit tall and thin but the trunks have nice movement. I'm hoping to get some help choosing one that has potential. I'm thinking some could make a great literati tree.

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help choosing a tree 4 years 3 months ago #55024

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I think it is first and foremost important that you select a tree with which YOU feel you can do something.

That being said.. TO me the last one, probably a Pinus sylvostris, has most character and movement in the trunkline. That would be my pick if these 4 were the options and I wanted to get one of them.

The first pine looks yellow and what I can see the trunk is very gentle. The two spruces.. They just do not look like something I would pick. Not sure why exactly. Probably because spruces take a lot more time to set their branches, and require special care (They need lots of moisture and do not like heat but do need lots of sun).

Help choosing a tree 4 years 3 months ago #55027

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
For pine I would shoose tha last one as well. The first one dont look healthy enough and looks to have a quite ugly swelling in the base. Maybe the swelling can be hidden in some smart way, but then you loose nebari.

For me Spruce is not out of the question. I would assume that it depends on which climate you are in. Where I live spruce is a good and easy growing tree. However, it is hard to establish the branches, needs to be wired several times before they set.

Depending on price I would go for 2 and 4. But as LB said, you need to pick what you like, not what anyone else like.

Help choosing a tree 4 years 3 months ago #55029

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I would fetch 2 and 4 as well.

Help choosing a tree 4 years 1 month ago #56653

• Stoverock
  • Stoverock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Update on the scots pine bonsai: put it into its first bonsai pot and changed the potting angle. Exposed a cool root that looks like an eagle's claw. The pads and apex will form out to the right for visual balance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: