Bonsai forum

Japanese Wisteria Progression!

• skroh24
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Japanese Wisteria Progression! was created by skroh24

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64338
I have been working on a Japanese Wisteria from seed. I planted the see about a month ago and about 2-3 weeks ago it sprouted. The picture I'm posting I took today and I'm shocked and excited to see how well it is doing just over 3 weeks of growing. I only water and place it on a window sill where it gets good sunlight throughout the day. When there is a muggy day which a lot of cloud coverage and no sun (usually when it rains or is about to rain) I put it under a grow light for about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I water it every third day because that's usually when my soil starts to dry up. Other than that I haven't used any fertilizers or plant food. Just good ole' water and sunlight!
by skroh24

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Replied by BofhSkull on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64340
Hope that doesn’t mean you’re keeping it indoor, ‘cause in that case it won’t last long...
by BofhSkull

• PenjingLiterati
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by PenjingLiterati on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64351
Congratulations! Wisterias grow fast and in 10 or so years you will have a beautiful bonsai. Your plant looks very healthy, but keep it outdoors exposed to all elements and sunlight.
by PenjingLiterati

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64353
Personally I prefer Wisterias from air layerings (or cuttings), as they will not flower for the first 10 years or so.
But as a long term project, it's interesting.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: skroh24

• skroh24
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by skroh24 on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64358
I live in Houston, Tx and I'm afraid to keep it outdoors because our weather here is so unpredictable. I usually keep it on a windowsill with a lot of good natural sunlight and keep the window open with the window screen blocking any pests. Do you think this is ok or should I try to find a save place to put it outside? Its also been raining very hard here lately and I'm afraid of it getting flooded. In doing research, I read online that its ok to keep indoors but what do you suggest? Should I try to make a sort of small greenhouse for it outside or keep it indoors since it seems to be doing so well?
by skroh24

• skroh24
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by skroh24 on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64359
Yeah that's what interested me most in growing the Wisteria form seed. The overall progression of its growth was interesting to me as well.
by skroh24

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64360
I am in Birmingham, Alabama, and the weather here is almost as unpleasant as in Houston. My wisteria is outside all year long. The only time I bring it inside is the rare time in late spring when the leaves are all out just fine and the temps drop below freezing, about once a decade.

Inside by an open window would be fine, but outside would be fine, too. Be sure to keep it well watered. Wisteria doesn't want to dry out.
by Ivan Mann

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Japanese Wisteria Progression!

Posted 3 years 4 months ago #64362
putting a plant from inside to outside in the middle of winter is not a good idea. Plants need to build up their frst hardiness by ever increasing cold weather. If you put this outside now, make sure it does not get any frost this winter.
by leatherback