TOPIC:

Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1599

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Everyone! :cheer:

I recently acquired a young plant known as the Porcaline Berry Vine with varigated leaves. I don't know a lot about this plant and need to do some research on it however, I was told it would make a nice cascade Bonsai.

From the base of the stem to top leaf measures 9.5" and, as you will see in the photos, there is a lot of new growth happening. My question is, can I begin working with this plant and, if so, what would you recommend? Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks for viewing! :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1603

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hi Leslie,

I would wait till it gets more branches so you have more branches to choose :) Also if you would make a bonsai from it now, it has a really thin trunk, when you put it in a pot the trunk will never get much bigger and give it an older look. So my suggestion is to place it in the full ground and let the tree grow bigger and sometimes reduce the new growth to get a compact branch system and to avoid that the tree grows very big.

Good luck!

Re: Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1613

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey Leslie,
I can't find any pictures that show the vines trunk.In order to get that trunk thick it's gonna have to be grown in the ground for a few years. Then I see a few trunk chops in it's future. You don't have to make it a cascade if you don't want to. you have time, and many other options :)
Good luck. It's a cute tree.

Re: Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1619

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have just spent an hour and a half searching various sites for information on the Porcelain Berry and found only one that gives "some" information. I was told it was an indoor plant however, from what little info I can find I get the feeling that it is intended for outdoor use. :pinch: Can anyone tell me if this is an indoor or outdoor plant? :pinch:

What useful info I did get from this site is: to get the trunk to expand (as with many other vines), the vining tendrils must be allowed to grow to their full extension and cut back in early Spring.

If anyone knows of a good source of information on the Porcelain Berry, please share the link? Thanks! :)

Re: Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1623

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Here's a site with the care this tree needs and temperatures, this may help:

www.plantcare.com/encyclopedia/porcelain-berry-1085.aspx

Re: Porcelain Berry-Varigated 12 years 7 months ago #1624

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Youri,

Thank you so much for the link...it gives me the added information I need. I have saved the website in my favorites. ;)

• Page: