Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 3 years 2 months ago #66064

• Albas
  • Albas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Hello again!

A few weeks ago I had to remove a Morus Nigra (Mulberry tree) from a house we were about to rent, it grew on a large ceramic pot, and at some point it's roots got tru' the drainage hole, got thicker and broke the expansive pot, while growing a lot in one year, it got like 3 meters really fast.

So I worked it out, sawed it's trunk, removed it from the ground and from the pot, cutted it's wonky taproot, and repoted it, (I only made this hard intervention because I know the species can take it easily)
And now here it is, growing, it's leaning because the shape of it's roots, the taproot was making a curve and some "radial" roots grew on the sides of this curves, unfortunatelly I don't have a picture of it, but they are all growing down on the current position, so I thought that maybe the leaning would be a good option for it's design...

But now, I don't know how can I make a design that works for it, the trunk is chunky, barky and straight, so maybe a hokidachi would be a nice option, however, it's nebari is not radial, but curvy, that would be good for leaning it...

Can you guys give me an insight? I know it's a hard material, but I'm kind of giving this tree a second chance to survive...

Btw, I made a large cutting from it too, because again, I know they accept log cuttings, and it's growing, but for that one, I know what I'm going for.
(I'm just in doubt of how long should I let it into the sand, it now seems that it's not growing much, and I added some soil on the top of the sand, so it can get a little more nutrients)

Thanks in advance, I don't want to take much of your time, so any tip, without much elaboration will be welcome!
(And please don't mind the grass, it's summer, I just trimmed last week! hahahah)

The cutting

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Albas.

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 3 years 2 weeks ago #67479

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello fellas.

Just a little update on it, it is starting to look like something, hahah...
I've let it grow wildly for some time, it grows really fast, so I did some prunning to get ramifications, and it accepted very well, it is getting bushy, however I didn't make any wireing yet, seems like if I did it would be biting, as the base of the branches are now more than a pen's thick...

The big cutting is healthy too, I removed from the sand and potted on organic soil, it is now full of new roots and shooting like crazy, still unprunned.

Very happy with the progress so far!

The following user(s) said Thank You: ukamikazu

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 years 8 months ago #71754

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello people!
Just updating the Mulberry project.
As winter came by, it shed all it's leaves, and a week (or 2) Ago It started tô sprout again... Só I decided to wire it while it's structure still exposed...
I did my best wiring it, however it's not easy to design on a stomp.
Check it out how it is!

The following user(s) said Thank You: ukamikazu

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 years 8 months ago #71755

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
By the way... It showed to a be a male.... So no fruits... xD

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 years 8 months ago #71766

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Nice project.

I think you should reduce the tump to end at the point where your new leader goes up. The little bit protruding into a branch feel off
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 years 8 months ago #71792

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Leatherback!
Nice point, I don't have a decent knob/concave cutter, but I'll have a dremel borrowed to do that. =D

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 years 5 months ago #73361

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey, just updating this Mulberry...

Unwired, and growing unprunned to thicken branches...
The pot is now fixed in place, as roots got out tru the holes, maybe it's time for some root work.

Branches thickened nicely, will cut some of them back soon.

A leaves are with that aspect, i think it's because the heat (grass is loving it, lol), that species cosumpt a lot of water drying this big pot real quick...
It has stopped growing for a few weeks, but it's budding for it's second flush.

September, worked with knob cutter. Was worried with that darker part of the wood, but well, if it doesn't heal well, I'll bring the cut lower...

The cut today...

The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, FrankC

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 1 year 9 months ago #77359

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, It has been almost 9 months after last update, and this is what I was able to build so far, Last time I've prunned the top branches cuz they were too strong, and I need to thicken the lower ones.

As you can see, the scar is closing, some work on it will be required soon.

The pot is attached to the ground, but this spring, I'll have to repot to see how the root shape and growth is doing.

And to be honest, about the design, I'm between making it leaning, or put it straight up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, FrankC

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 10 months 2 days ago #80724

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello!

Well, it's been thickening since then, I just had to made some minor prunings to balance it's growth, and late summer to make way for wiring on winter, in one of this pictures it doesn't have leaves because it was after this last pruning, and in a week or two it was almost full again.

This year deciduous are kind of late here, so they just started to go dormant.

But I think it's time to slow it down, major branches are already thick enough, so on spring I'll remove the pot from the ground, repot the tree, do some selection and put it on refinement.

Once I repot on spring I'll post an update on it's base.

The Mulberry project, help designing a hard material. 2 weeks 1 hour ago #82979

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello everyone.
I hope you're having a good spring on the North and a nice autumn on the South.

I'm just dropping by to update this little fella almost 100% leafless already...
This is the earliest shed on this fall, some trees are already losing some leafs here and there but not like this one.

There's a lot of things to correct and choose.
Like the roots, that have been shallowed on spring, to correct and improve the nebari, and since I just wanted it to recover, I didn't make any major prunings, but one cutback on the long shoots.

There's also some branch selection and wiring to do soon.

That's it, feel free to comment or anything.
Cheers.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankC

• Page: