• Page:

TOPIC:

Chines Elm Mallsai from a garden center 3 years 1 month ago #66228

• lucR
  • lucR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
In November i found this incredible forest, brought it home, and placed it nice and warm in a windowsill on top of a radiator. Now the leaves are all... naaah jk of course.
I have been wanting to buy a mallsai Chinese Elm for some time, and do a "MarcoBuisman" in a at least 10 year project.
So i bought this with the idea of removing it from the pot, pulling it apart , potting up individually and do an airlayer above the curve, creating 6 trees out of three and create a rocky forest with them over time.

So, after coming home i placed it outside, and left it there, where it stood all winter, and even had a period of -10. Now, with spring around the i see new buds everywhere so i proceded with step one. After removing them from the pot i found roots being entangled, intertwined and circling around the trunk. But, with some heavy pruning i managed to create/find something that could become an acceptable nebari. Mind you this was not for the faint of heart: i removed 50-60% ( if not more) of the roots.Because the most of them circled around i used the ¨nail em on a plank¨ trick . Potted them up un good substrate and will leave them till fase 2 in June: the airlayers

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chines Elm Mallsai from a garden center 3 years 1 month ago #66237

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Nice project lucR!
Goodluck with it. I honestly think you are kind of saving these trees from certain doom... hahah

Btw, I must say it's the first time I see a Moyogi forest...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: