Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Prunus incisa kojou no mai 2 years 4 months ago #73864

• Daf
  • Daf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone,

New to the bonsai scene, approx. 1 year into learning and discovering, but have been following a lot of topics and posts the past year.

As I would like to build some experience and try to learn how to work some different types of trees, I'm trying to pass by a lot of local so called 'big box' nurseries to look for starter material.

One of my the latest finds that intrigued me was this Prunus Incisa - Kojou No Mai starter plant. I think there might be a decent clump style multi-trunk bonsai hiding within this one?

Currently the base has 4 branches, three bigger ones and one very small one (labeled number 4 on the image). Branch number 1 does have an awkward split into two branches that are, unfortunately, somewhat closely growing next to one another. I've had the idea to cut the straight part of the splitting branch, to keep more movement in the remaining branch. Or perhaps branch number 1 should be cut (air layered) entirely, continuing with the remaining three branches (2-3-4) that might look more proportionate to one another.

As the base of the branches only splits into 4, one inch from the root/soil line... i guess that a ground layer might be needed later on?

For now, I have the tree in an unheated greenhouse, as I'm not sure how vigorously the tree was growing (bought it in fall). Would it be a good idea to let the tree grow for another year in the pot and then plant it in the ground after doing some rootwork and placing a tile underneath?

Feel free to correct me, or share your ideas!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Daf. Reason: Forgot the images

Prunus incisa kojou no mai 2 years 4 months ago #73865

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have some of these growing out for about 7 or so years now. Not with a tile, but straight in the ground, cutting back each year. In fact, I was on my growingfield today and thinned it out. The base is now some 15cm: Planting in the grouns is well worth the effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daf

Prunus incisa kojou no mai 2 years 4 months ago #73868

• Daf
  • Daf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'll definitely give it a try growing it in the ground then without any rootwork for now. Once the tree is growing like it should, do you think a ground layer might be a good idea to create a nebari that starts at the base of the 4 splitting trunks?

Would you cut back the split of the first trunk or reduce the trunks to only 3?

Thanks!

Prunus incisa kojou no mai 2 years 4 months ago #73871

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
If you let the trunk grow big enough, the split is visually at rootlevel. :)

I think I would not layer it, but work with what is there, maybe even reduce to one if that is needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daf

• Page: