Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie windswept juniper year 1 to 2... 1 year 10 months ago #76845

• The_Groke
  • The_Groke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey there,
With so much info and knowledge on here, i figured as a long time lurker i should throw my first attempt at a tree into the mix.
A Nursery bought juniper i stripped and wired into a very early stage windswept style.
Yes the pot is UTTERLY wrong but i have a nice unglazed one waiting for a re-pot in Autumn (Sorry - "Fall" for those not in the UK)
when it goes to sleep.
I just wanted to get it esablished after the first massive shaping when i got it in Early Spring 21.
Please be as constructive / brutal as you like with your comments.
I'm here to learn, a total newbie and obvioulsy in this past-time for the long game!

Thanks.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankC, Albas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by The_Groke. Reason: pics

Newbie windswept juniper year 1 to 2... 1 year 10 months ago #76847

• Scimitarboy
  • Thanks received: 22
Hi Groke, and thanks for sharing your endeavours.
Firstly, and most importantly your material looks healthy and well cared for, with plenty of new growth apparent, so you must be doing SOMETHING right!
Good call on going for a windswept style - I've got a particular fondness for this style from hiking across various blasted heathland and hillsides in my youth...
Hard to tell from 2 dimensional pictures of a 3 dimensional object, but I would say my first impression of the branches is that they currently look maybe a little too evenly stepped to my eye.
If that was my tree I'd maybe consider inclining it just a tad more when it's repotting time, and I'd definitely be looking to drop that lowest branch to almost semi-cascade proportions to give some dramatic effect and open up the branch gaps. That wouldn't create a particularly "classic" shape, but the elongation that you've got on your branches hints at a tree being moulded by a hugely exposed and relentless environment - and when it comes to nature like that all bets are off!
I look forward to reading other members' critiques and suggestions - I'm here to learn too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The_Groke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: