Bonsai forum

Black Spruce Yamadori: My first attempt at styling a tree. FINALLY!

• JPH
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 21

Black Spruce Yamadori: My first attempt at styling a tree. FINALLY! was created by JPH

Posted 8 months 5 days ago #81265
It's been a while. I hope everyone is doing well.This is my first attempt at actualizing a bonsai design. I've wanted to do this since I was 13 (I'm 36 now... yikes!). Critique is of course welcome and encouraged. The tree showed great health this growing season and put out new growth everywhere. Lots of new buds set for next spring. It was collected in 2022. I had a general idea of what I wanted but I didn't plan very much in advance. Just sort of worked my way up the tree. I wanted to convey the feeling of Spruces in the taiga.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
by JPH

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic Black Spruce Yamadori: My first attempt at styling a tree. FINALLY!

Posted 8 months 3 days ago #81288
Hello!
Happy to see it was a succesful collection.

I like what you did, it's not easy to stylish collected materials, options are limited.
It seems like you're lying about being your first time, hahaha.
Looks like somebody has been studying, congrats.

And this one is very tall, but still harmonic, there are some tweaks I would do, but nothing urgent, you're doing a great job yourself.
Last Edit:8 months 3 days ago by Albas
Last edit: 8 months 3 days ago by Albas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPH

• JPH
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 21

Replied by JPH on topic Black Spruce Yamadori: My first attempt at styling a tree. FINALLY!

Posted 8 months 3 days ago #81289
"It seems like you're lying about being your first time, hahaha."

I'll take that as a compliment :P . Though it is in fact my first tree styling. Many of my collected trees died (see my other posts) before I got the chance. I've had to learn through trial and error because of where I live.

I've also benefited from online services like Mirai Live and Bonsai U. Watching someone wire a tree and explain their process was invaluable. I doubt I'd have even an ounce of success without that.
by JPH