TOPIC:

Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2344

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi All, :)

It's time to move my Jade plant(s) out of their 4" nursery pot and get some serious work done on them. There are four plants in this pot and, after constant pinching back for the past year, three of the four trunks have developed two and three side branches. The fourth trunk is just beginning to grow a side branch. Three of the trunks all share the same gentle lean to one side.

I think I would like to create a group planting with these however, I can't seem to decided whether to use just three or all four of the plants in the grouping. The fourth Jade is the smallest with the straightest trunk and is just beginning to grow it's first side branch...I think it could be planted in the back of the dish to create the illusion of distance in the composition. Also the three more developed Jades would be placed accordingly from middle ground to fore ground to help create this illusion. I think the branching of these three could compensate for and balance the "even" number of plants.??? I am concerned however, of over-crowding in the future. What do you think?

Or should I go with a grouping of three and use the fourth as a single tree on it's own? Any ideas?

Here are some recent photos of the Jades in the nursery pot taken at different angles. Your ideas are more than welcome. :P

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leslie. Reason: Make correction.

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2347

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Ok Leslie, one thing for sure is that it is a rule in Bonsai when planting forests or "plantings" that you must always have an uneven number of trees. You have the concept of creating depth with a short tree! But use 3, it looks much better and is much more natural. Also pay attention to branch positioning because remember in nature, branches grow towards the light and when you plant your trees there will be branches that will need to come off because they will make the planting look unnatural. I recently did a planting of pomegranites at the expo in Cape Town.

Good luck!

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2348

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Check these out,these are my Crassula that i am planning on mame-ing. Same tree just a varient of the Jade species. Note how i have just slapped them in a massive flower pot haha. The first photo is of my mameies and the second is my mentors forest/planting! BOOM perfect to show you!

Last edit: Post by joncoh101.

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2350

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jon, :)

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. You're quite right about the rule of 'odd' numbers in a composition...I practiced this rule for many years in my art compositions. There is a saying however, that says "it is not until you know the rules, that you can break them". There are several other elements, within any given composition (including the number), that also come into play such as size, placement, mood, flow and rythm, to name a few. I also recently read in Jerry Meislik's "Ficus the Exotic Bonsai" that the 'odd' number is not a hard and fast rule...it's what works within the composition, which makes sense to me.

I guess what I *meant* to ask in my first post is: can anyone *envision* this grouping in a three and four element composition while best creating the illusion of distance and perspective. I am envisioning a slight zig-zag positioning from front to back with the four. Could the three be positioned in such a way that is not boring or predictable? I could always add a very small fifth plant but I see it as being too busy looking. Hmmmmm.........

Looking at your mentor's forest planting it appears to have six plants (if you count the triple trunk as one) or eight plants (if you count the triple trunk a three);) . Your suggestion for branch position makes a good point...it will be good practice in 'directional pruning' for me. Your Jades are growing well...what an interesting looking variety! I luv the small, pointed leaves in their bright green attire! Thanks for sharing. :cheer:

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2351

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yes good point about the odd numbers, it also comes down to personal preference, in my opinion if you want to grow a tree or trees in a certain way go for it, if Bonsai stuck to the same old rules extremely strictly then theres going to be no invention, no breakthroughs in style etc.

That pic of my little mames is an old one, i will take one today and post it later, you wont believe how much they have grown. Its been about plus minus 3 or 4 months.

To add, i think it would be a good idea to put your little tree at the back and abit off centered from the other trees, this will also be in tune with your zig zag affect

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2359

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hey Leslie these are the photos i promised, late yes, i have been studying for finals haha. The pic titled crassula is a little shoot that im not sure what it is, is it a baby Jade? I was having a braai (barbeque) with my friends and i told them about this article i read on the net about Crassula being able to root from a leaf thats been put on the soil. They said well lets try it and this thing has popped up about a month later... Hmm

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2365

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jon,

Wow! Your crassula have really grown! :woohoo: They're beautiful...I would luv one of these! How tall are these now? Have you been pinching back the ends to encourage new branches? May be time to think about shaping them, yeah?
As for the single leaf...I'm not sure, but a I don't think so...the leaf looks too broad and thin to be your crassula. I could be wrong tho. ;)

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2370

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Leslie, they are still about the same height of the original trunks because i have been pinching them back. The thing is i still dont know what i am going to do with developing new branches. The old cut scars are also terribly ugly. This is why i want to grow them and heal those cut holes before i trim and put them into pots as Mame Crassula.

That single leaf is abit odd, i really dont know what it is, however i shall just wait for it to develop more and show more characteristics

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2376

• malaqias
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello again guys!

First of all, those are some very good looking and vigorous trees you got there, both of you.

You guys were talking about the odd and even number of trees in a planting, and i agree with what you said. Bonsai is also about your personal taste and knowing how and when to break the rules, otherwise, as jon said, there would be no innovation.

That's not the problem for me here. I don't want to be the bad guy, but what i think you should be concerned about, is that the trees look very similar to eachother, except for the fourth that is smaller(atleast in the pictures). As Lindsay Farr said in his episode about group plantings, the thing you have to look for in a "Bonsai forest" is the differences between the trees: the big one and the small one; the one with the fat trunk and the skinny one; the old trees and its offspring. etc...

you can check out his video here: vimeo.com/3332472

Hope this helps.
Diogo.

Re: Crassula Ovata~Jade 12 years 5 months ago #2378

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Diogo,

Thank you sooo much for your input! For the compliment, the supportive comments and especially for the constructive criticism....."THAT'S" what I'm looking for! Linsday Farr's video made it all come together for me. My plants are still very young so there is lots of time for training and growing. Wow! :woohoo: You have been a tremendous help! I'm newly inspired. I've got to watch more of his videos! :cheer:

• Page: