Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Unknown - Currently Researching 12 years 3 months ago #3546

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Ya when I dug up the plant i killed I had no idea of what I was doing. I just wanted a tree to train, because I had only just been introduced to bonsai. Can't wait till spring so i can go and find some yamadoori.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Unknown - Currently Researching 12 years 3 months ago #3555

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
How long you need to leave a plant before collecting it is dependant on the location a little. I find that one growing season is typically enough. Moving plants in late summer, when it is starting to prepare for winter is ideal as it is moving a load of resources to the roots, which will grow quite a bit in late summer earle fall. And yes, i do have quite a bit of experience in moving plants..

Dont start collecting yamadori. If you have experience in growing plants and taking care of them, then consider wild collection of old plants. But make sure you do a series of transplants of cheap garden plants before layng your hands on yamadori. Waste to kill them for nothing.

Re: Unknown - Currently Researching 12 years 3 months ago #3558

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Leatherback,
I am Really excited now. I have always been lead to believe you needed to wait. I'm glad I am a member of this forum. We have people with actual experience setting everything straight. I have a few garden trees that need to go. I'm doin' it your way :)
One thing that kept me from taking them already was the time it took to collect them...You just cut my time in half. I'm in.

Re: Unknown - Currently Researching 12 years 3 months ago #3560

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Pink: Moving is always tricky; I think the main reason for keeping 2 years, and working with all the spagnum etc is for seriously established trees (Say 10+ years in the say spot) and particularly for slow-growing species. The older the tree and the slower growing, the more time you would take.
So if you are thinking moving BIG trees, you should consider the two-step long term approach. If you are thinking the somewhat smaller younger trees of faster growing species you should be alright after a year. I have never filled a hole with spagnum etc.

The biggest tree we moved was a 4m tall, 6" diameter trunk Platanus. We dug a 40vm deep channel around the truns at 50cm distance, put the soil back in and left it for winter. In September (Later summer) we moved the plant. The first year the tree grew only 10cm. The second (Last) year branches grew over 80cm, so I think that workedout well. Mind you: Where I live is moist, cool and good growing conditions for deciduous trees.

Re: Unknown - Currently Researching 12 years 3 months ago #3567

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
The bonsai club i joined does a yamadori dig once a year, and there are lots of knowledgeable people who help out. I'm definitely going to to make sure I do all the right steps if i do collect a tree, would hate to kill a tree.