TOPIC:

Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2908

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi All, :)

I purchased another variety of Jade last week from a local plant store. I have double-checked other Jades posted here and still, this one seems to different. The description and photo of the leaves in the background look exactly like mine; see this link en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crassula_ovata yet, it doesn't give a name that distinguishes it from the other varieties. That makes it rather confusing. :S I really like the small, round leaves tinged with red and the compact growth habits. Here are some photos...

There are at least eight individual plants in this pot.

It appears all trunks have at least one branch and some are double trunks. There are also varying heights so this will definitely be a forest/group planting. I can hardly wait to get working on it! Thanks for viewing! :cheer:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2913

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
:blink: I am sooo jealous !!

That is a beautiful specimen. I can't wait 'til I can go out and look for stuff like that -- 3 months or so to go !!

Looking forward to watching it grow.

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2915

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you, Angie. :) I'm not sure how big this will grow because I'm not totally sure what variety it is. I do luv the look of this one so much better than the 'regular' jade...psst...don't tell my other Jade plant I said that, K?! B) Something tells me it might be a dwarf but, then again, that could be wishful thinking. The best part is~it was only $5.dollars and change! ;)

I'm getting so excited :woohoo: for you. What a wonderful adventure to lookforward to. Only 91 more sleeps, give or take a few! :lol:

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2918

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
now thats the jade plant i know.my father has had one of those for 40 years.it's about 3 feet tall with a 5 inch trunk,it's not in a bonsai pot tho
been meanin' to snap an uneeded branch off and take it home ;)

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2923

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

now thats the jade plant i know.my father has had one of those for 40 years.it's about 3 feet tall with a 5 inch trunk,it's not in a bonsai pot tho
been meanin' to snap an uneeded branch off and take it home ;)

Really??? Oh, wonderful! Keith, would you or your Dad happen to know what the variety name of this Jade is? It was listed under Crassula ovata however so are many others; there must be a name for this particular variety, right? If you could find out for me I would be ever so grateful. Your Dad's plant sounds amazing! :woohoo:

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2934

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
well leslie he has no idea...seeing it is and older species of crassula ovata it would be one of the original species were all the newer subspeicies were dirived(sported).plant genetics are making things so hard to specifically identify...
just try to positivly identify a japanese maple, there are like 2000 varieties.my dad has 2 that looking at them they look the same but in the spring the leaves on one is pink the other is green and the lobe spacing on the leaves are slightly different so 2 diferent names :pinch: :S it's crazy

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2943

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hahahaaa...I hear you, Keith. Trying to identify some species can be enough to *drive one around the bend a little too far*! :lol: Maybe it's the challenge that keeps us at it. Thanks so much for asking your Dad about it for me. It's kinda nice to know that mine is from the more original "Species" of all species! I kin jess hear my new Jade sayin' to my other Jade species...
"Bow down before ME oh ye peasant of my subspecies!!!" :angry: ...snicker... B)

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2962

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi Leslie,

I can't help you with the name of the variety. But I can tel lyou two things:

- You see how the internode distance (The stem length between subsequent pairs of leaves) are very short? This is the result of loads of light, and watering only when there is a period with loads of light. Typical for a tree grown in a tree-house for shops, or in a natural position. Have you seen Youri's Jade? His has a natural dropping shape. This is the result of little light: You get weaker, longer stem sections between leaves (Basically: The plant tries to get to the light as soon as possible, and invests in length, rather than grith/strength.
- The red edge to the leaves is ALSO an effect of lots of light. I used to have a jade tree which in summer would stand in full sunlight, and be watered only evere few weeks (Unlees it rained ;)). This plant would get almost purple in summer as a sunlight protection.

J.

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2971

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jelle,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Typical for a tree grown in a tree-house for shops..." So, what you are telling me is that these two Jades in the attached photos are the same variety of the Crassula species??? :blink:

This is my older Jade which has always been placed in a large 5 foot(1.5m) wide X 7 foot(2.25m) high window with direct Southern exposure:

This is my new Jade which I found in the flower shop in a dimmly lit corner of the room with minimal artificial lighting:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Another Jade Variety! 12 years 4 months ago #2974

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
tree-house = green-house. Wondering what I was thinking off.. [imaginging a big tree-house in the tropics with a bonsai balcony, eating bananas and mango's...]

The two crassula's are most likey not the same variety. but the one you have bought recently runs the rist of becoming similar, more stalky and less leafy if it does not get sufficient light :D

• Page: