TOPIC:

Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 9 months ago #352

• Youri1995
  • Youri1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hi everyone,

Here is a tree that is waiting to be styled. I'm not actually sure about how to style this tree. That's why I post this, I need help! :)

The pictures are taken today (23-06-11). I hope everything is good to see because there's a lot of foliage there:
1. a bit above the base there is a big branch growing upwards and a little branch
2. further above there are some side-branches
3. upwards the trunk divides into 3, in an Y and in the middle of the Y another branch that's growing horizontal

I hope someone has some ideas for styling/wiring/ future-sketches.

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 9 months ago #359

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 289
Hi Youri,

Great potential! Although it is very hard to see from pictures (as opposed to seeing the actual three in 3D) it seems that the mayor first branch doesnt fit the design very well. It is quite straight and 'uninteresting' to me. Would you agree (knowing the tree much better than me)?

I would cut the branch (see part 1 on my visual) and perhaps create a shari (part 2) to make the trunk more appealing. This would be the mayor change in design, I cant say much about the branch structure from here..

Anyone else?

This message has an attachment image.

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 9 months ago #360

• Fr. Tom
  • Thanks received: 0
A couple of things... what does the nebari look like? Take it out of the pot and expose the nebari. The widest part of the trunk most likely will dictate where the front of the tree will be. Based on the front you choose, then look at what the branch structure is and choose a design from that. What is the tree telling you? Chopping branches without choosing a front can be a big mistake.
Best of luck.

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 9 months ago #361

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy yuri,

i would sugjest getting some of the foliage off before you start taking off branches.it will open up the the branch structure and give you a better look at the shape.i have stared at a tree for a month before pruning and wireing it is a drastict move.you also have to keep in mind that you are not going to have a finished bonsai and you need to imagine were and how the branches are going to be in say 5 years not tomorrow so be careful chopping well developed branches.
it looks to have a good stucture so consider loosing a little foliage and giving it a good wire.i think you see wht needs to go once its opend up some. best of luck.

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 9 months ago #367

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you all for your advices. :)

At first I've taken today some more foliage off, so I could see the branch structure better. I'm thinking of removing (as Oscar said) the right big branch because it's very large and straight and compared to the other branches next to them it's very thick.

Also I agree with Fr. Tom that I first need to find out what the front will be. Without that, I can't choose which branches I need to stay or cut off. I'll work on this tree next week, and then post some more pictures.

Also said I should make some shari to make the trunk looks more interesting. I would reallly love to do that, but I don't have the tools for it, so I need to try find someone who has these tools and would help me. But the basic thing I need to do now is giving it a first styling.

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate that!
If you've more ideas, please let me know.
Youri

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 7 months ago #1480

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here an update after removing some more foliage and branches. I don't know exactly what to do with it, someone an idea of how to style it?

This message has attachments images.

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 7 months ago #1482

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Youri, :)

I think this tree is very suitable for an informal upright style...would you agree?

In photo #1 and #4...is this what you have decided for the front of your tree? If so, one must remember that the viewer of must be able to see the *form* of the main trunk from bottom to top with little or no interruption by foliage or branches, so...the little branch in the bottom centre must go as well as much of the foliage along the upper half on the main trunk except for at the apex where your top canopy will be.

I would encourage a little more branching off the *back* of the main trunk if possible...one or two smaller branches. I think now is the time to envision the *cloud* pattern of foliage that your branches can produce and the spaces in between where "the bird" can fly through. Keeping in mind the overall triangular shape of the tree I think you can now start wiring and shaping your branches and the upper half of the main trunk.

However, this is just my idea and you may have different ideas for your tree. If I have been inaccurate in any of the procedures or timing, please let me know...as this too helps me to learn. ;)

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 7 months ago #1483

• Fr. Tom
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm in line with Leslie on the question about the front. I looks like the roots and what might be a nebari haven't been exposed yet. I feel that one should always see what the nebari looks like and go from there in regards to any type of styling. The nebari, trunk line and branches almost always dictate what might be the styling and what one pursues to accomplish with the tree.

Best of luck!
~ Fr. Tom

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 7 months ago #1492

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you both for your reply!

I agree with both of you, the nebari is crucial for deciding a front, I'll expose the nebari today too see if the front I have in mind now (yes Leslie, it's the front of picture 1 and 4 ;) ) is okay too chooce.

I don't know what to do with the branch that's growing horizontal at the top of the tree (picture 3, lower left) but I'll first check the nebari beneath the soil and make a picture, I'll keep you up-to-date, thank you! :)

Re: Styling a Chamaecyparis obtusa spp. (Cypress) 12 years 7 months ago #1506

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
hey youri, i would look at pics of twin trunk style conifers to get some insperation right now im not sure what i would do with it personaly i have a hinoki cypress with much the same branch structure and am just leaving it for a while.they are very slow growers maybe an inch per year in optimal conditions

• Page: