Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7669

• MWid
  • MWid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hmmm, I think I might also have a black monkey thorn, they look very similar. It must be quite warm in joburg already for it to have that much growth. I very much like the pot and the movement in the trunk good job
The following user(s) said Thank You: pieterbosch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by MWid.

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7670

• pieterbosch
  • Thanks received: 6
Thanks MWid, it was quite warm until a week ago. Now its been raining almost everyday. I still have to grow the new apex, but luckily I am in no hurry.

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7671

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I always seem to be in a hurry with things haha :). Did you get the bad hail storms? I saw on the news there were golf ball sized hail stones! Would be devastating to hit some bonsai.

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7672

• pieterbosch
MWid, I have been staring at pictures of your tree, and both types :pinch: . I don't quite know what the difference is between them, they are nice either way.

The trunks remain very flexible and 90 deg bends without any snapping is very possible. Difficult but possible, you might need a trunk bending tool, and some help.

Yes I have survive three hail storms already, the latest being the worst. My trees are very lucky to have survived without any damage. The previous storm left my Trident Maples looking like we had 2 inches of snow.
Your tree have a lot of potential, and if you are patient and get even more awesome trunk growth, you are in for a winner.

A flat top/Pierneef style is very possible, and always looks great. Then you will have to do some mayor trimming though. OR be different and try a formal/semi-formal upright.

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7675

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
90 degree bends :blink: woah. I wouldn't try that out on mine haha, Im happy with the subtle movement mine has, perhaps the only difference is that mine has no thorns :lol:. I went through the painful task of pulling all the thorns of in winter when I had nothing to do, that way I can avoid being the monkey stuck to my monkey thorn. ;)

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7677

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh yeah about the piernief style.. I only thought that up recently when looking at my tree, I always thought I would have to chop the tree back hard to do it and disregarded the thought, but now I actually think it would suit the tree quite well. Its on the cards, Anyway, the plan is to keep it how it is and see how it goes, If i continue thinning the top out and letting the base grow I will get lots of taper in the tree, then sometime in the future I may chop the branches going up the stem except for the top to work on the flat top style with awesome taper. I think Im getting so excited over this that I may just do this :D

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7679

• pieterbosch
Sounds like a good idea. My tree's top section was 180 deg in the other direction, and looking not a bit weird and very empty, it wasn't suited for anything I could think off. So I twisted it, and I think it is turning out alright.
Follow your gut, and keep looking for inspiration.

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7680

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Not much savanah type trees for inspiration in cape town you will have to send me a few pics :D haha. You did a good job of wiring your tree from what I can see

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7681

• pieterbosch

Acacia Progression from stock 11 years 5 months ago #7682

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
wow lennardsboonsaibegginings is interesting, great so see some success in the flat top style