• Page:

TOPIC:

Electra Blue Cedar 12 years 3 weeks ago #4395

• Vnolan
  • Vnolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17

This tree is brand new, so this progession is going to take a very long time. But that's part of the fun of bonsai, right? :) This is an electra blue cedar, which, by the way, is a very beautiful species of tree. It is very young and so I wired it into a basic shape, I thought the long tendril at the top was a good start for a cascade, and I think this tree will make a nice one. I also wired the branch on the right a little bit so it is sloping down slightly, but left the one that is sticking up because I want to see what happens with it over the summer. I think this tree will really grow and thicken up this summer, and I am going to leave it like this for a while, checking the wires every so often so they aren't biting into or hurting the tree.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Electra Blue Cedar 12 years 3 weeks ago #4411

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Cute tree. How fast do they grow?
Thanks for the posts. :)

Re: Electra Blue Cedar 12 years 3 weeks ago #4413

• Vnolan
  • Vnolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
Thanks! Taken from floridata.com : Culture
"Deodar is fairly fast growing for the first decade or two, growing as high as 30 ft (9.1 m) in its first 10 years. It is a long-lived and troublefree tree in most areas. Deodar needs neutral to alkaline soil."

Even though it says 30 feet, the site I got it from says the mature height is 6-8 ft. This particular tree was rooted from a cutting.

From what I've read it's fairly fast growing for the first few years.

Electra Blue is also known as the Deodar Cedar, or cedrus deodara. I've read it's a medium fast growing tree, and I've read it's a fast growing tree. So it could turn out to be either. I know it needs good drainage but fertile soil, and a lot of sun. It's going to be neat to watch!

• Page: