• Page:

TOPIC:

Carpinus Betulus 12 years 9 months ago #553

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Another of my projects. This carpinus comes straight from nursery stock. I bought is a few weeks ago. Trimmed half of the leaves and clipped some of the longer branches. Then I planted it in full soil to allow it to built a bit of trunc-muscle.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Carpinus Betulus 12 years 9 months ago #560

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Soooooo cute!:cheer: I don't have any experience with carpinus, but it looks like it'll make a great informal upright if you want, and will bend easily if you don't. It's a great find.

Re: Carpinus Betulus 12 years 9 months ago #567

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Great potential material, really beautiful! :)

I like the way you styled it, nice movement and the branches are placed on the good places. Carpinus are good trees for bonsai, they bend as BassandBonsai said easily and they are strong trees.

Good work, I'm very curious to see this tree in the future! :cheer:

Re: Carpinus Betulus 12 years 9 months ago #574

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Youri: This is a tree I found at a local grower, and picked it from a few hundred, because the shape was nice without needing work on it. I can now focus on branches, root and trunc fattening, without doing major bending.Always nice when nature provides the right stock.

Re: Carpinus Betulus 12 years 7 months ago #1464

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi J,

I'm interested in learning a bit more about your Carpinus Betulus and was wondering if you would mind telling a little more about it, please. This is the botanical name, I assume? What is the common name? I've not seen this one listed on other sites; is it common? I find this photo rather difficult to make out much of the detail, specially with all the green in the background. Would it be possible to get a better photo for identification purposes? The leaves look quite delicate; will they remain this way? Is this a deciduous (outdoor) species or sub-tropical? Thank you in advance for your patience...:blush:

• Page: