Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5619

• m_wonnacott
  • m_wonnacott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Hello all I am new to the forums and new to bonsai. Last week I purchased my first bonsai a 21 year old Green Japanese Maple that is about 36" high. When I first got it I did a partial defoliation just removing some of the larger leaves. Today I set down to wiring it (only got half done because I rean out of wire) The apex of the tree still needs some work but not alot to work with atm.

I know that next year I will be repotting it for two reasons one red is not my color so I don't like the pot I also find that the pot seems too small for the size of the tree but not sure what size I should go with. It is currently in a 10" x 8" x 3" pot.

I have done some research on Bonsai including reading the book Bonsai with Japanese Maples by Peter Adams. I have also read most of the articles here on the site. I also have a total of 5 other japanese maples planted on our property. Four of them we have had for over a year now and doing well the other was added this year. I am open to sugestions as to how to better improve the look of this tree.

hmm having issues posting pictures on here

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5620

• m_wonnacott

yay pics posted note it was inside after being wired and just to take some pics its home is outside at the back of the property in light shade from underneith a large maple and ash that can be seen in the first pic which is where it usually is. Here are a few more shots from different angles and of the pot and nebari

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5624

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
What is your plan with this tree, because no bonsai is ever truly finished. I definitely recon a bigger pot is in order due to the size of the tree. A bigger pot will also significantly help improve the growth of the tree; I feel the tree should still be on another 10-20 year plan in developing the trunk thickness and taper. In my opinion i would reduce the height by a little an work an new branch as a leader for an apex, this would help improve the taper. Now is also the best time to wire the trunk, to give it some slight movement, its better done now before it becomes too thick. You can buy some thicker bonsai wire for that. Overall its a very nice tree and has great potential, keep us posted!

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5626

• m_wonnacott
Well not too sure about long term plan I know I want to work on thinkening the trunk up more and building a better nebari (which I think giving it a bigger pot will help this. I also need to work on creating a finer branch struckture to the pads and the leaf size so figure thats going to take a good few years. The tree has parts that I am really happy with and others I know will need to be worked on.

I have thought about ways I can a) improve the top taper and b)amprove the apex of the tree.But so far have not figured out how I want to go about this maybe I should get some better pics of the appex to get some accistance with it.

As for the trunk not sure how much movment I can get out of it with wire would have to be pritty thick wire since the trunk is 1/2 inch thick or wider. Also I think this tree has been trained to this point to be a slanted.

What are peoples thoughts on wireing the lowest left branch down a bit more i haven't yet wired it at all since other then possibly lowering the branch I am really happy with it.

What size pot should I start looking for in antisipation for early spring of next year. As well as recomendation for pot colour. I tend to lean towards blues or blue/greens but not sure this would be best choice for this tree.

Last edit: Post by m_wonnacott. Reason: missed something

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5629

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well a good step would be finding a bigger pot. Its all up to you on the size really, I would look for a fairly large one maybe 3 or 4 times bigger than what you have, but try and keep it flat, to work on the nebari ;). Posting some picvs of the apex would help us a lot. I haven't got a tree that's as far along as yours yet, but I have read a lot about apex building and im sure other people on the forum can help.

You could easily wire the trunk into shape, just need to find the thicker wire. In my opinion its a little bit straight in parts and would look great with some added movement.

I think wiring the bottom branch down a bit might create a problem in a gap in the foliage, since most of your foliage is higher up.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5630

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I made a drawing.. Its pretty crap but i hope it make it clearer what i want to say.. If you wire the branch up it adds more volume to the tree and will improve the overall shape

This message has an attachment image.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5633

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
This tree might also make a pretty good literati style bonsai.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5634

• m_wonnacott

hmm thats an interesting idea since it is actualy the view from the back that you posted pictures of with the drawing. I am wondering if rather then getting a new bonsai ot I should just have the hubby build me a nice low long box with drainage holes and plant it in there for a couple years.

I did after going out to take pictures of the apex end up shortening the top branches some since I knoticed some decent back budding kind of excited since I see a new bud forming in an area I felt I was needing another branch to help get a fuller looking apex. Also shortened up a couple of the other branches a little. Now I think I am just going to wire the rest in the next week or so then just wait and see how it does the rest of the year.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5643

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
this would be what i would do (really i would chop to the first branch)shorten the 3rd branch chop the top and use the top right branch as a new leader or develope the "y" as the apex

your tree is grafted as most JMs are nowadays so it was a branch put onto rootstock which is why the trunk has such a uniform thickness. this will help with that . that first branch is perfect the way it is nice position and growth angle

This message has an attachment image.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5655

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I think the tree needs a substantial reduction is height. For the trunk you have now, the best you can go for is mame-sized (Say up to 30cm height). It will not be convincing for taller trees. Personally I would aim for a reduction of the tree, rather than increase of pot size (bonsai is about reducing root-ball size after all).

your tree is grafted as most JMs are nowadays so it was a branch put onto rootstock which is why the trunk has such a uniform thickness. this will help with that . that first branch is perfect the way it is nice position and growth angle

From the posted pictures I cannot tell that this is a grafted specimen. If it was baught as bonsai chances are 50/50 that is is a cutting.