Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5665

• m_wonnacott
  • m_wonnacott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I am not really interested in recusing it size at this point but rather working on building the trunk up instead I bought the tree because I liked its size and basic structure. It is definatly a grafted tree right where the first branch comes out. I want to at least give if a year or two to try to work with things as they are before I go making any really drastic cuts. I may though turn it around and use what I had as the back for the front instead. In the spring I think i am going to plant it into a long shallod wooden box for a couple years unless I can do this sooner since I won't be reducing its root size?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5692

• buna
  • Thanks received: 6
I'd want to be removing the thicker branches at the top leaving the thinner ones.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5701

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I am not really interested in recusing it size at this point but rather working on building the trunk up instead I bought the tree because I liked its size and basic structure. It is definatly a grafted tree right where the first branch comes out. I want to at least give if a year or two to try to work with things as they are before I go making any really drastic cuts. I may though turn it around and use what I had as the back for the front instead. In the spring I think i am going to plant it into a long shallod wooden box for a couple years unless I can do this sooner since I won't be reducing its root size?

OK, fair enough. Just realize: If you are going to grow out the trunk, you can pretty much give up on the branches that are there now: To get a thicker trunk you want to stimulate growth, resulting in fat branches. This will in the end result in you cutting of the branches and re-growing them.

You can easily transfer it to a shallow tray now; However, if you want to work on the roots beforehand (I would want to: You should untangle the roots, and plant them flat, radiation nicely from the centre, to create a nice nebari, or root flare. That can be a big blow to the tree, especially if your weather is better than ours (We are having 15 degrees and rain, up from 7 degrees and rain earlier this week). So no major root-work unless you want to risk loosing the tree (I still do rootwork in the middle of summer, but usually on treespecies I know)

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5702

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Or you could grow one huge branch known as a sacrifice branch, leaving that one to grow will help thicken up the trunk.. In the mean time you can keep the others cut back.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5847

• m_wonnacott
Ok so after thinking about it and looking the tree over again I have decided to follow some of the advice given here. For one thing I decided to use what I had a the back of the tree for the front. This in turn allowed me to see a branch that would make a good new top for the tree so I went ahead and did the unthinkable and removed the top of the tree. I picked up some more wire to finish that as well as some 10 -10-10 fert to begin a fertilizer regimine.

I also plan to allow a sacrifice branch to grow out in order to encurage the trunk to thinken out. In the spring next year I will be getting a bit bigger pot more in proportion to the tree.

showing before with the old top and the branch that will be trained as the leader
[attachment:1]DSCF3640.JPG[/attachment]

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5848

• m_wonnacott

lets try that again

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5853

• m_wonnacott
[attachment:1]DSCF3649.JPG[/attachment]
full tree after apex was removed and before finishing wireing and a closer view of the big cut before I treated it with wound paste.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5854

• m_wonnacott

full tree after apex was removed and before finishing wireing and a closer view of the big cut before I treated it with wound paste.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5858

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey,
Great job,especially since it's your first. Now let it recover for a while.

Re: My First Bonsai 11 years 10 months ago #5862

• m_wonnacott
Ya just water and fert till spring now. is it safe to start fertilizing now after removing a larg branch or should I wait a couple weeks?