Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5881

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

i reread the comments and ive read up alot recently and curious, if i remove the lower branch that would promote more growth up top but also would make the trunk slower to thicken correct?

either way i think it needs to go, i just want the foliage to be not only on one side of the tree, poss will need to change the position in pot to get a new front because there are virtually no branches on the one side, but if turned its a whole new story

thoughts?

It would not so much slow the thickening, as int would reduce the taper. Low braches only add thickness low on the trunk.nremoving the brach would

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5884

• Axioq
  • Axioq's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
thanks for all the advice guys, i was still very nervous to actually cut into my juniper as it was expense for me so in order to get some experience with pruning and wiring i went ahead and stopped at the local nursery on the way home and picked up a Blue Star Juniper (Juniper Squamata) and tried making it something acceptable, let me know if I'm ready to try my hand on the real thing

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5885

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
I think you removed a little too much foliage. Im under the impression that you should never remove more than 25% of a juniper's foliage in one sitting. Best to do it over time.

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5886

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
nice job not a bad idea practicing on a cheaper specimen. my only concern is the fact that you planted it on the edge of the pot.unless this was due to the roots being out of place i would move it over a bit. having it so close to the edge will effect the radial root growth that is wanted on bonsai

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5888

• Axioq
thanks for the input, i was mainly just trying to see how the tools worked and how/where was best places to make cuts and try my hand at wiring, feeling much more confident about wiring and poss taking a branch off my other tree

i think you are right with the amount of foliage i removed but i guess time will tell if the tree is able to make it back from my butchery

the reason it is slanted is because it is currently attached to a rock in the pot, just trying some different things

i may have put too much stress on the tree so ill basically be trying to get it back to life in my mind, we shall see

Re: My Collection 11 years 10 months ago #5892

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
naw the foliage should be fine junis are tough

Re: My Collection 11 years 9 months ago #6047

• Axioq
So I did some "styling" to the Juniper i have and i would say came out ok so far but still have to wire up the small branches, i did the larger branches and starting to resemble what i would like it to look like some day...what do you think

Also i just thought i would post a photo of the American Elm update, before it had barely any leaves and now i don't know what to do with it, so much so quick, thing grows like a weed but a good looking one, ha.

please any feed back would be great and advice on how to handle the elm would help me greatly

This message has attachments images.

Re: My Collection 11 years 9 months ago #6050

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
the juni looks great just be carefull with the little branches they have a tendancy to break off at the trunk ...
as for the elm the larger branches just cut 1/2 to 2/3 of each branch back leave a little room above the last leaf the buds there will branch out.the litle ones at the bottom you can just pinch the terminal bud.
all species of elms are vigorous growers i have to prune my shohin seiju elm 3 to 5 times a year to keep it under control.eventually all the leaves should get to the size of the small bottom ones

Re: My Collection 11 years 9 months ago #6052

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
I personally think that the juniper is a little tall. I would lose the heavy bottom branch, lower the 3rd branch slightly, and cut the top down a bit...

Perhaps something like this?? Just an idea.

This message has an attachment image.

My Collection 11 years 8 months ago #6283

• Axioq
So i went on vacation for 3 weeks and am lucky enough to have a local bonsai store that will took my bonsai in for $5 a tree a week so $100 bucks later i come home and notice some things...

My Juniper has some brown spots but still has new growth in new areas..kinda strange

2 Jap Maples both have lost all the red color and now are all green
- Note: 2 days after being at home they both are regaining the red color
- anyone else experience this?

Black pine was thriving and has a lot of new growth

Gingko is looking good

American Elm is just continuing to grow like a weed

All this information has registered in my head and clearly may need to think of some new habitats for my trees as the place i left them was a larger green house that didn't get a lot of direct sunlight

The maples, elm, gingko all seem to love direct sun and do well in it

Black Pine seems to like some more shady areas and likely not all direct sun

Juniper...who knows..prob most difficult to figure out, though i do contribute the brown areas to my recent restructure of the tree...wasnt the smartest idea to do right before i left for 3 weeks

• Page: