• leatherback
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #822
Hey Leslie,

getting to Canada would not be the major trouble; I am kind-of a travelee; Have been around the globe a couple of times, and have lived/worked in more countries then I care to remember. I have some friend over in Canada, so over the next 2 years I should be on that side of the big lake. The main problem is that one is not allowed to take plants across I think.

Yeah, the wonders of technology. So much better than say 15 years ago (Was working in Central america at the time, and had contact with home through letters, one letter every 6 weeks :ohmy: ). By the way.. Don't get me wrong. I may live in Germany, but I am not German! ;)
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #835
:ohmy: Whoa, you've been around the world!? AND you're a published plant physiologist with a PhD and MSc in ecosystem biology!? My mind is officially blown!
by BassandBonsai

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #845
Lance...Small world, huh? Where abouts in Canada are your friends? I'm in South/Central Ontario. How wonderful for you that you have seen and experienced much of our little green planet! What an enriching life you have lived so far at such a young age. :cheer:

My Dad was born in Canada however, his parents were from Germany...they immigrated to Canada during WWII. My Mom was born in England and she also immigrated with her family to Canada during the war. It would be lovely to visit as both countries have such rich, historic culture in architecture and the arts.

Hannah...you are so right...how wonderful that we can connect and share common interests with people from all corners of the Earth!!!

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #851
South-Central Ontario? Would that be the London-Kitchener area? I worked there in 1996, harvesting tobacco for 4 months, before taking the train, bus, plane, hitchhikers guide south untill I reached Panama :cheer:

My friends are in New Found Land, or as they say: Torbay, Newfoundland.

Hm.. Enriching life? Let's say, I made sacrifices on things that other people are often unwilling to let go off (Not seeing friends, relative and living off whatever comes across your way is a dificultl choice of life). But yeah, with 20 I was in the middle of the Central American rainforest & working on sea turtle. At 22 I was in West-Africa, at 24 I spent a year in the North-Australian mangrove forest for my MSc, followed by 4 years working in South Africa (For my PHD in savanna ecology & sattelite data processing :D). 2 years flying between UK, Kenya and Australia. Etc. Now I have settled on a boring job as University Administrator but have a wife, nice house & garden, and finally an option to get into bonsai. They will however get to suffer, as we do travel a lot still :D
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #865
Hi J,...sorry I called you by the wrong name previously...it was 12:30 am and my brain was in nuetral...or I was having a pre-senior moment! :blink:

London-Kitchener is more South/West. I'm just a little North/East of Toronto. My Dad was born in Kitchener (a German settlement during the war) and I was born in Windsor (a British settlement). My brother and family live a little South/West of Hamilton and a dear friend of mine lives in Waterloo so I am definitely familiar with the tabacco growing area. There are some beautiful Provincial Parks along the North shore of Lake Erie. ;)

Ahh...Newfoundland! Now there's a place I definitely want to visit. I've been to the East Coast, Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island...traveled the Cabot Trail however, I haven't been North or South of there. I also want to see the Bay of Fundy. ...sigh...

Yes, I suppose there are sacrifices with every choice made however, travelling to various parts of the world, experiencing different cultures...there is little that is more conducive to self-awareness and the broadening of one's mind mentally and spiritually; would you agree? How wonderful that you and your wife are now able to explore the world together!!!:cheer: You'll just have to find a reliable *bonsai baby-sitter*!

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 3 months ago #3518

BassandBonsai wrote: I agree, Germany isn't exactly an afternoon road trip away when you live in the U.S. Neither is it easy buying wine when you're 16. :dry: Oh well, isn't it a miracle that we can be so far away and yet still look at each other's bonsai? It only means that I can learn unconstrained by where I live! :)

Hehe, so you come to germany first. Here you CAN buy wine when you are 16. You just cannot drive till you're 18 :)
by leatherback