TOPIC:

Bought my first tree (Japanese Maple) yesterday 11 years 1 month ago #8384

• sikadelic
  • sikadelic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
imgur.com/a/2jzCZ

I posted a link to the photo album above. I would love any constructive criticism on what I did during repotting. Also, it was around midnight last night when I finished so that is why it is in my kitchen. It is outside right now soaking up some sun. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bought my first tree (Japanese Maple) yesterday 11 years 1 month ago #8385

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hm...

A few things I would have done differently:

- I would not have repotted it with a bare-rooting this year. One of the pictures clearly shows that the acer has dried-out foliage, ad the buds surrounding it are weak, if not dead and dried out.; This means the whole plant is very weak; Removing the soild/repotting like this is a big hit on a plants resources.

- I am not a big fan of the bare-rooted planting style which you used. :D

- The tree looks like you have to get started completely on styling & growing branches etc. If this is the case, then placing it in a bonsai tray is counter-productive. Only with lots of space can the roots grow strongly, resulting in strong above-ground growth.

Hope the plant makes it. :unsure:

Bought my first tree (Japanese Maple) yesterday 11 years 1 month ago #8386

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
Im not sure if this plant is ready for a bonsai pot. Perhaps you could do a root over rock styling with those exposed roots. The trunk will eventually need to be chopped and new branches grown to overcome that spindly look. I also suggest ditching the drip tray. Those trays can cause root rot.

In Flames rocks by the way. ;)

Bought my first tree (Japanese Maple) yesterday 11 years 1 month ago #8388

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I will do some major pruning next year to shorten it up. I know it needs a lot of work but I don't want to do anything too drastic too soon since I just reported it. Thanks for the advice!

Yes they do. I have been a fan for more than 10 years. Just saw them live last month too and they rocked my socks off!

Bought my first tree (Japanese Maple) yesterday 11 years 1 week ago #8571

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just to update on my original post, my Acer is beginning to bud and show some small leaves in a couple places. A little sunshine and anal attention to watering seems to have brought this little wisp back to life. :) I will begin fertilizing in the upcoming week and will be trimming some of the longer branches back in an effort to shorter the internode length and encourage some more ramification. I will post some updates pics when I do some more work on it.

• Page: