Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9353

• Neli
  • Neli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 6
I bought this as a little "bonsai" in a pot 2.5 years ago. I grew it in a packet in the garden and forgot about it. The roots grew out of the packet and into the ground. It has been growing like crazy.
I decided to experiment by ground layering it in January and removing the fat roots bellow. My gardener did it. It seems he did not remove wide enough ring of bark since the bark has joined. There were little bit of roots, so I decided to keep the bottom part, which had more roots. You can see there are 2 type of figs growing...one bellow and one above the graft.
[img]http:/https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1012002_4777663331536_124801192_n.jpg/[/img]
It seems most of the gap between the separate roots closed, so I decided to leave it like this for now...and and decide at a later date if I should ground layer it again. It almost has no reverse tapper now.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You can see the other type of fig growing (bottom right branch. ) it has lots of roots so I did not remove it for now...I want to use its roots to fuse to the future trunk.

You can see the line of roots where it was groundlayered.

I did not chop the branches too low, since I want to thicken them some more and for that I need them to back bud,and develop lots of foliage mass, for faster thickening of the leaders. I covered the trunk with a thin layer of bonsai soil and foil+plastic, so more roots develop on the trunk. The foil is open at the bottom, so the roots can reach the soil. Ones it is growing strong, it will go in the ground over a tile.I am hoping the new roots will thicken the trunk, give it character, and hide the low split of the roots. If it does not look good I shall ground layer it again, but for now I just want it to recover.

I removed the large roots:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9354

• Neli
I plan to style it in an open umbrella broom like style, and remove the branch that shot bellow the graft, but for now I need it to produce lots of root growth, to fuse onto the trunk.It has 3 branches grafted on top...and a landing pad between them, without any scars. I tried to bend the two branches horizontally, but they are just too hard...so I shall grow them for now, and then chop them back hard and direct the new shoots bellow horizontal level and grow them again for tapper and movement.
I planted it in home made medium...broken village under fired brick= zakadama (DIY akadama :P ) Laterite large particle sand and little bit of compost.
Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edit: Post by Neli.

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9355

• Neli
I forgot to subscribe and it is not showing in my subscriptions.

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9362

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
You seem to be getting some decent plants there Neli. Maybe we should consider an import/export of plants to Europe ;) Still looking for some special plants, although I have no more space for tropicals (Am about to create a table for my ficus, to place in the office in winter)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neli

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9363

• Neli
Darling are you the same Jelle who is my friend on FB?
This is not a good plant. It is ordinary ficus ginseng. I did not like the roots but liked the top plant so planted it in the ground and it grew a lot. I wanted to use it for cuttings, but eventually decided to try and make something from it by removing the horrible roots. Now it was not groundlayered well and the ring of the cambium grew over.
Lets hope I will manage to make something out of it. But so far I am using the root as trunk he he he! I thought it does not look that bad as a trunk.
Just that is so big that I need to grow the branches fat so they are in proportion to the trunk.
If I manage to grow some roots on the trunk, I shall bandage them later so they fuse to the trunk.
I was thinking maybe in spring to open the foil and drill small holes+ toothpicks all over it so roots can emerge from there if they dont emerge this way.I want it covered with roots! He he he!
Ones it starts growing I might try to notch or drill holes in the branches to try and bend them.

Last edit: Post by Neli.

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9367

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Neli, I am going to unfriend you in facebook, if you can't remember me :evil:

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9369

• Neli
Dont you dare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excuse me! I was just not sure if it is the same Jelle! He he he!

Ficus jinseng 10 years 9 months ago #9370

• Neli
Why am I not getting any advise??? Is it because I forgot? :P ;)

• Page: