Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My Grand Fir 10 years 8 months ago #9413

• Tanky
  • Tanky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
This is my first Bonsai... I have been patiently building my collection, studying everything I can, and observing professionals. I am also a Plant Science Major at WSU and manager a greenhouse conservatory.

Need help with My Bonsai that has been wired up for 5 months, which i removed yesterday. I thinned it out, shaped it a bit, and potted it in the shallow pot when I wired it in Feb-March. I purchased it at a local nursery thinking it would be a good 1st plant. . It has added a ton of new growth. I'm not sure the direction I should go with it now. I was thinking moyogi or informal upright but now I don't see it anymore. The wiring did help bring some of the limbs down a bit but i need to work on wiring more. Plus all the new growth is all upwards. There is hardly any taper with the trunk so maybe I should just throw it in the ground for a few years. What advice can anyone give me. The pictures are 1 with the wires and then the others are after removing them. The 3rd pic, or the one with the filename starting "gz" that shows what i percieved as the front. I did cut the leader off when i potted it and you can notice some of the new growth trying to establish itself as the new leader. Boy this thing is a hot mess. I'm trying not to get discouraged. lol

Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Tanky. Reason: further explanation

My Grand Fir 10 years 8 months ago #9414

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
I assume that you are keeping the tree outside in semi shade. The wiring left a lot to be desired I am glad you have removed it. You need to find out how to do it properly. The next problem is the branches which are oposite each other. You could reduce them to alternate branches. But the main thing if you want the trunk to thicken is to plant in the ground for a couple of years.
You will be able to get a formal upright, but you should study it for a while before you make up your mind on a design. There is no need to rush, it is a very small tree right now.
You need to thin the growth out, it is quite dense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanky

My Grand Fir 10 years 8 months ago #9416

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22
Hello Tanky,

First of all fir's are really difficult trees especially in the hands of beginners. It can take a lot of years to make it into a convincing bonsai, but if you have the time and patience it shouldn't be a problem.
Unlike other species it's hard to make a bonsai out of it instant.
Fir's have the tendency to dislike wiring and can respond with die back of branches or popping back into the old position.
Holding shapes without wires is hard.
And it takes a lot of time to get a nice branch structure.

Your tree;
Don't get this wrong i'm only trying to help.
Study and practice wiring techniques. It's really important and you will see you use less wire if u know how to properly wire. Wiring is stressful for trees and slows the growth.
Guide wires are ok but as you can see with the higher left branch it makes the branch alomst like a bridge.
That shape is a little unnatural.
Also always wire neat and proper and don't cross wires, it's a tip. ;-)

If you look at older firs in nature and other trees as well, you will notice that towards the apex of the tree branches get smaller and thinner.
Bottom branches are the thickest.
The fir's branches hang down giving it a pyramidal shape. while foliage points up towards the light.
In bonsai there are almost no 2 branches popping out of the trunk at the same height opposite of each other. (Like your lower ones)

The tree should be pruned back so the second flush will be closer to the trunk. Also try to make a apex from one of the branches by wiring it up.
When he new shoots harden off you can wire them and bring them down.
This proces takes a lot of time but it will build you a nice tree in the coming years.

One thing about first bonsai's keep them alive. ;)
There is nothing greater than showing off your first tree 20 years later and see the progression it made.
Good luck!

My Grand Fir 10 years 8 months ago #9417

• Tanky
Awesome.. Thank you soo much. What do you mean by 2nd Flush. I know the branches are all long and lanky.. should I cut them back to the first node or all the way to the trunk? It's midsummer here so I was hoping to prune now so the growth after i prune will be minimal for next growing season...

Thanks again

My Grand Fir 10 years 8 months ago #9418

• Tanky
Thank you.

• Page: