• Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

Nox happy with my boxwood was created by sikadelic

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9840
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Any guidance on this pitiful guy would be appreciated. I got this tree early March of this year. I repotted it and it was nice and healthy. In May I had to attend 3 months of training and left it with a friend to water. When I returned, it was in terrible shape. Dead branches everywhere and lots of brown leaves. I removed the dead branches and browned leaves. It has recovered for the most part, but now looks terrible due to the loss of foliage and branching.

I plan on removing half of the branch length next spring in hopes of stimulating backbudding and new branching. The tree is currently still pushing out new growth and it appears healthy, but the overall look of the tree is very poor. Any ideas? I plan on removing the oversized branch on the left and leaving the one on the right.
Last Edit:10 years 6 months ago by sikadelic

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sikadelic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22

Replied by chrisv on topic Nox happy with my boxwood

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9843
Definitely take off the fat left branch it looks unnatural and out of proportion.
You can even take off 1 of the top branches.
After that just shorten the others to a desired length and start building the tree with the new buds and branches emerging from the trunk.
Let them grow long as this will thicken them and when they have the desired thickness cut them back and work on ramification.

Takes 2 or 3 years minimum, but when done right it will leave you with a great tree.
by chrisv

• michaelj
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by michaelj on topic Nox happy with my boxwood

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9847
To take advantage of the nice movement and taper along the centerline of this tree, I'd make a bunch of cuts just as it comes out of winter, as long as it looks healthy by then. If you do, it'll back bud all over the place, making it easy for you to build the foliage exactly as you want it. A bit radical, I know, but it's worked for me on similar trees.

This image is hidden for guests.

by michaelj

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by sikadelic on topic Nox happy with my boxwood

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9848
Thanks. I will definitely do a hard chop on this guy next spring. I will definitely remove the fatty on the left, and reduce the one on the right. Most likely, the only branch I will leave will be the second one on the left and make it my new apex. Then use the reduced first branch on the right as my only remaining branch and build an all new branch structure.

Unfortunately, I didn't necessarily like the existing structure when I bought it but had no experience with boxwoods. My ignorance led me to believe I could successfully wire them into place. Luckily, I didn't pay too much and this will give me some knowledge for my next one.
by sikadelic

• stiple
  • Thanks received: 9

Replied by stiple on topic Nox happy with my boxwood

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9850
Have you thought about air-layering the branches instead of lopping them off?

In theory they should be established by the time spring rolls around.
by stiple

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9852
Michael, unfortunately I can't view that image on my work computer (shh...im supposed to be working) so I will check it when I get home. I know they do respond well to some radical chopping so I am open to a lot of different ideas. Thanks.

Stiple, I have thought about it but so far I'm not super fond of this species...haha. Probably due to the pain in the ass this one has been so far. It would probably be a good idea just so I can get some more experience with these guys instead of being frustrated with it. I would be open to sharing one with you if I decide to do it and you're interested.
by sikadelic

• stiple
  • Thanks received: 9

Replied by stiple on topic Nox happy with my boxwood

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9854
I would never turn down starter material, and would gladly accept one if you do try it.

I've been meaning to make another grow box, but have run out of new material to raise.
by stiple

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9859

stiple wrote: I would never turn down starter material, and would gladly accept one if you do try it.

I've been meaning to make another grow box, but have run out of new material to raise.

Sure. Just send me a reminder next spring and I will send one your way.
by sikadelic