Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My first collected material (azalea) 10 years 5 months ago #9983

• benw3790
  • benw3790's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Well, this is the first material I've ever collected, it might not be that suitable for
Bonsai or maybe it is? I didn't take my time finding it. And lord know I had no idea what I was doing Lol. But my friend wanted the shrub gone from his yard so I went and got it, ha. Regardless, I am happy that I was successful, so far.. I live in the eastern United States, collected in spring of this year and put it in this pot. When I first planted it, I cut off all the branches/foliage EXCEPT for about 10 twigs and leaves here and there. Since then, all that has been removed and what remains is all the new growth on it
Now. I haven't figured out a way to cut those two "stumps" off yet without disturbing the roots somehow or aggressively handling the tree. I'm sure you guys will have a lot to say about this one and I am so ready to hear everybody's thought, opinions, advice, and criticism. I really wan it to be a bonsai somebody.. Maybe mother daughter style tree, twin trunk? Idk but feel free to express your thoughts! Thanks! The pics show front and back.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first collected material (azalea) 10 years 5 months ago #9985

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer but there isn't a whole lot of taper going on. The good news is that your tree will backbud really well so you can chop it pretty low and rebuild with a nice wide trunk.

I would also look into repotting it into well draining soil once the Spring rolls around. It's good that you saved it though...they are really beautiful when in bloom!

My first collected material (azalea) 10 years 5 months ago #9991

• benw3790
Yes I know, and you don't sound bad at all, I totally agree. When I potted it, I didn't realize the soil was THAT bad until it really got watered and I've been scared to repot it again because I don't want to cause too much stress. I do have really good bonsai soil that I make myself, but didn't have any made up at the time of repotting. Do you think it would be safe to repot it now, into better soil? I'm in zone 7b in eastern united states and its getting pretty cold out. And it has only been months since i potted it. Its in regular potting soil right now. And I went outside today to really examine the material again, and there is some inverse taper in the taller trunk and the lower trunk goes straight up with some taper (not much) and then bends at a 45 degree angle. Maybe I could chop tha lower trunk back to the bend to make it straight and get rid of the other one altogether for a shohin style single trunk tree? What are your thoughts? I originally wanted to do that but keep the other trunk and just make it a little shorter for a twin trunk or mother daughter style. And I am extremely excited for spring. as I have two other azalea that back bud extremely well.

My first collected material (azalea) 10 years 5 months ago #9992

• benw3790
I had to re-read your post, I see that you said in spring so I'll wait. I need to sry the soil out some tho, its been too wet. Idk how to dry it out, besides the sun.

• Page: