Bonsai forum

Assistance with bougie

• JuanDc
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Assistance with bougie was created by JuanDc

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10515
Howzit everyone.
I'm new to the forum but not new to bonsai.
I hope someone here could help with a style to choose for this yamadori bougainvillea I have.
I am planned to do some carving after I've done every thing else.
What I need now is only assistance on how to shape the branches. I know it might not be enough branches but I'm sure it will be enough with some time.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by JuanDc

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Assistance with bougie

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10519
epic trunk. you could try broom or informal upright. as you said, you may need to give it time. you could start wiring though and probably get rid of the lowest branches.
by bob

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Assistance with bougie

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10528
It will never make a broom. Windswept or informal upright, maybe. Carving should be left for at least a year to allow the tree to recover from this years work.
Depending on what country you are in and what variety it is you will need to protect from temperatures below 10C
by m5eaygeoff

• JuanDc
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by JuanDc on topic Assistance with bougie

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10530
I am from South Africa and where I live our temps never go below 15. Actually, it struggles to go below 20.
by JuanDc

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10531
Nice, then you have no problem growing them. I have to protect mine in the winter, I have 2 both are doing well and I can't wait until I can get them out. That is a nice chunk, you need to pick a leader and remove conflicting branches. I would keep the angle of the trunk, and one of the lower branches on the left lower down, but probably not the long one. It looks a bit too low unless there is more trunk that we can't see. The trunk has a natural look so I might not do any carving as it looks good the way it is, but I would have to study it for a month or two to decide.
I would give it a season growing before doing anything major. "You can cut it off but you can't stick it back on."
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff

• JuanDc
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by JuanDc on topic Assistance with bougie

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10534
Geoff, I like your reply the most. A lot of people have looked at it and every body says I must do some carving but I don't really want to.
There is a little bit of more trunk you can't see but I wanna put that part underneat the geoud coz it will cause the looks of reverse tapper. I wanna plant it just as you see. My plans are to air layer it on the part you can't see coz the roots are too thick. Can't put it in a better sized pot.
Thanks for the reply

JUAN
by JuanDc

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10536
If you have had it out of the pot and the root is a problem, ok, but it may be possible to raise it so that the root is a feature. Carving should be done to enhance the tree not for the sake of it. I am not a fan of deadwood on deciduous trees in general. On some species it fine, but not all.
Same for wiring, try to avoid wiring deciduous species if I can.
It is difficult to tell from one picture as I would want to study all aspects of it before doing any work.
I once had a tree with a branch that every one said should be jinned. I was not too sure, however I went with the majority opinion. As soon as I had cut it off I knew it was a mistake. The jin looked wrong, and I have removed it completely. I am not sure if the tree would have been better with the branch but I wish I had waited a bit longer before making that decision.
by m5eaygeoff