Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11485

• rmullns
  • rmullns's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I received a very beautiful of a "bonsai" from my son and I love it ... I don't want to debate whether it's mallsai or not, probably is ... I will care for it the best I can because anything I receive as a gift I feel attached to ...

My question is: how does one buy an actual "bonsai" and get started in this wonderful world of Bonsai ...

I live in Southern California (Orange County) and I've been to a few garden shops and nurseries where I've seen mallsai (maybe?) and then I've seen Dwarf tree specimens that I was told would make good "Bonsai" ...

Any help would be very much appreciated

Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11486

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
easiest is joining a club, and getting introduced that way. Besides that.. Videos on line, websites, forums..

In the end, you can use almost any woody species for bonsai. It is the techniques and your own vision that determine the outcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmullns

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11488

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
hello, there are many ways to spot mallsai, but the best is comparison, the first picture is mallsai, no time or patience given, but the second is bonsai, where a lot of time and patience has been given. mallsai can be depicted by seeing if there has been any work done into it. they tend to be in the informal upright style, and ask the shopkeeper how old it is, if the answer is 3-5 years, then they are definitely mallsai, but if the answer is 10-15 years in training then you can call it bonsai.

hope this helps, doubt it, but this is the most info i can give you,

jaimin, p.s good luck

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11490

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

My question is: how does one buy an actual "bonsai" and get started in this wonderful world of Bonsai ...

I live in Southern California (Orange County) and I've been to a few garden shops and nurseries where I've seen mallsai (maybe?) and then I've seen Dwarf tree specimens that I was told would make good "Bonsai" ...

You don't know the difference between mallsai and bonsai - and this makes this a very difficult question.
It would require several pages of text to explain what mallsai is, what a real bonsai looks like, what the difference is between bonsai starter kits and real bonsai (starter) trees... let me try to keep it short.

Fortunately, there is a lot that you can find on this website, like what is bonsai . A summary:
"Bonsai is an art with as ultimate goal to create a miniaturized but realistic representation of a tree in nature"

Mallsai is something different, it is not an art, but as I would call it:
"A commercial approach to sell plants that look like, but are not, bonsai, with as ultimate goal to get a higher price"

Bonsai is art, every Bonsai tree is a unique piece. Mallsai are far from unique and cannot be considered art. There are several forms of mallsai, like Ficus Ginseng (the type with the ugly fat roots, the roots mimicking a thick trunk and the visibly chopped off top sprouting a few branches), trees you find in garden shops (not bonsai-shops), often chinese elms, carmona, serissa, that are sold as indoor trees, almost always with an S-shaped trunk, and trees sold in several webshops - calling themselves bonsai shops - that sell trees that essentially are not much more then cuttings in small pots, often with a stone, pebbles or an asian figurine like a fisherman as decoration, to make them look like more then that what they really are: sticks in pots.

All the above 'bonsai' have one thing in common: they are mass products.

Example:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This is not bonsai, and For USD 70,00 I think this is a very much overprized too.
Unfortunately, they are advertised and sold in such quantities, that it seems most people that start with bonsai, have the wrong image of what a real bonsai looks like, and pay this price.

Note: the trees mentioned above all are suitable for bonsai. It's not the type of tree that decides whether something is a bonsai or not, but the methods used to grow and train it and the ultimate result. Trying to make a bonsai out of these mallsai is rather useless - you can buy better starter material for that price.

Note 2: Real bonsai nurseries have to make a living too - often they will sell cheaper trees that are mass produced and could be considered mallsai - though it is possible that, as bonsai nurseries know how to care for them, they may be healthier then those from a non-bonsai nursery.

Back to your question:
"How does one buy an actual "bonsai" and get started in this wonderful world of Bonsai"

That are actually two questions:
- How does one buy an actual bonsai.
That depends on a couple of things. What's your budget?
A good tree could cost about the same as a second-hand car. A tree that is ready for a prestigous exhibition however could cost as much as a house. Or more, like this 1 million dollar bonsai

Of course you can buy bonsai for less than that, but you will get a tree that is younger, less developed and less refined.
However, once bought, you will have a problem - you need to keep it healthy, you will need to repot and prune it - and you will need to know what you are doing, why you are doing it, and when to do it.

The second part of your question:
- How do I get started in this wonderful world of Bonsai ...
Learn. Study. Learn more. Look at examples. Learn what is bonsai and what is not. Decide what tree suits you and your circumstances best. Decide whether you want a deciduous tree or an evergreen, outdoor tree or indoor (or as I prefer to say: find out why an indoor tree probably is a bad idea). Determine your budget - you will not only buy a tree, you will also need to buy tools. Ask advice. Visit bonsai-nurseries - even better, if possible, visit a bonsai exhibition. Find bonsai clubs in your area, become a member.

Once you know what bonsai is and what it takes: start looking for your first tree.

Dwarf tree specimens that I was told would make good "Bonsai" ...

Not really. They make good dwarf trees. Dwarf trees are not bonsai. They often are suitable for bonsai, they will require the same care and training as other bonsai. As they grow slowly, it may even take longer to create a convincing miniature tree from a dwarf species.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11492

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
sorry my photos did not upload :( , it makes my post sound silly :cheer: .

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11494

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

but if the answer is 10-15 years in training then you can call it bonsai.

I don't think so. I can show you one of my trees that I have had 'in training' for more than 15 years. As a beginner, I took a wrong approach, left it in the same pot, and neglected it. It now looks almost the same as 15 years ago and cannot be considered a bonsai.

As Leatherback said, it is the techniques used that make something a bonsai.

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11498

• rmullns
Thanks Auk for taking the time and preparing a very comprehensive response to my question. I have a lot of work to do, but I'm ready for it ... seems like a very rewarding hobby.

best regards,
Robert

Last edit: Post by rmullns. Reason: spelling

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11499

• rmullns
Not silly Bob - thanks fro trying - I'd still be interested in seeing them if you have the time

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11507

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

sorry my photos did not upload :( , it makes my post sound silly :cheer: .

Can you try again? I think it's a good idea.

Help with First Purchase 9 years 9 months ago #11515

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ok, i think these were the ones

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: