Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Jade bonsai 9 years 8 months ago #11696

• deansie26
  • deansie26's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, I'm new to this great forum and to bonsai really. I've always had a keen interest in bonsai owning a elm or two when I was a lad but was ignorant to there care and they didn't last long.
I'm going to purchase a deshojo maple as my first bonsai in the near future but have a 20 year plus jade plant that I bought at a good price to work on.
The first picture is when I collected it and the second is after I trimmed it back. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on styles it might suit.

The third picture is my little jade hummels sunset

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jade bonsai 9 years 8 months ago #11700

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
hi there, epic job! I think broom style might suit it, there is a picture of one below. The other thing is that the cuts at the bottom aren't very nice, so i would suggest to cover them up with more soil. Apart from that, cool work! ;)

the species of this bonsai is different, but similar.

This message has an attachment image.

Jade bonsai 9 years 8 months ago #11701

• deansie26
Hi Bob, thank you for the reply. I'm waiting for a shallow terracota bowl type pot to arrive so I've just got the root ball in that over size pot drying out so I can trim the roots before reporting. I'll be sure to cover the unsightly cut ends. I feel the jade is an easy plant as it's easy to care for etc but I don't feel it's a proper bonsai species as it grows so quickly. That's just my opinion though, I like this one all the same as it's a large specimen.

Jamie

Jade bonsai 9 years 8 months ago #11707

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Hi, as long as you trim the shoots to size then it can be a bonsai, it does not matter about how fast it Grows. If you live in the northern hemisphere then I would say that it is a bit early to repot, but if you live in the southern hemisphere then maybe wait another month. It is a bonsai but would benefit from more training. Good luck and happy bonsai-ING!

Jaimin
The following user(s) said Thank You: deansie26

Jade bonsai 9 years 8 months ago #11855

• deansie26
Just thought I'd post s few pics of my jade in new pot, could someone tell me if they think it would be possible to remove the 2 stalks that I've pruned right down once the tree establishes it's self? Not sure if there to integral to the main tree

Thanks

This message has attachments images.

• Page: