• Page:

TOPIC:

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12031

• Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
An old colleague of mine called recently and asked if I was interested in two trees. Of course I am always interested. Often the 'beautiful trees' appear to be mallsai or badly developed trees, but you won't know in advance, so it's always worth it to have a look. I was not disappointed. The trees were owned by my colleagues mother, who was getting too old to take proper care of the trees. They have been taken care of and look very healthy, but they have apparently not been pruned for quite a while.

It concerns a Ginkgo - it has a very long shoot, at the back, not visible on the photo, and an apple, also with very long shoots.
Both have their challenges. I'm not going to do anyting with 'm (I've only filled the pots up with Danish clay-pellets, as a lot of soil was washed away), at least un til next year. Until that time I'll just look at 'm and decide how to proceed.

The Ginkgo has quite nice foliage, but a lot of the roots have been above the ground and have died off. I'm not sure what to do about that, prune them, air-layer, or maybe just leave 'm there.
The apple has a fairly good base, the roots are not great, one of them is too straight and big, also not sure what I'm going to do about that. It has very long shoots and the branching isn't great, not sure how I'm going to address that, but probably I'll only shorten them and let it grow next year, see what happens.

I'm a bit worried - I was told the trees were kept inside in winter. They may not be used to being outside in Winter, I forgot to ask if they were kept in the room or in a cold storage. Not sure if I should leave them outside in winter. Guess I'm gong to have to make a phonecall :)

Photo isn't great - again this was actually a photo of the bench I made this weekend, the trees happened to be on it :D

I'll make a better photo - meanwhile ideas and comments are welcome.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12037

• deansie26
  • Thanks received: 0
The trees look nice, nice of your friend to pass them your way!

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12041

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Got your work cut our for yourself there!
Not a ginko fan myself. The apple can after a haircut look pretty decent in a year or two, I think. Perhaps you should remove the apples, and let it focus on building some energy for winter?

I'm a bit worried - I was told the trees were kept inside in winter. They may not be used to being outside in Winter, I forgot to ask if they were kept in the room or in a cold storage. Not sure if I should leave them outside in winter. Guess I'm gong to have to make a phonecall :)

Nature knows. Even if the plant was kept indoors for a few seasons.. Weather varies from year to year. The plant will go dormant when fall hits. If a species is frost-hardy, it will be hardy, independent of previous winter-spots

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12043

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Two nice trees,. The Ginko I don't find to be too frost hardy and I would protect it. The apple is not problem, and will be fine. I would just leave it out and as long as the temp does not get below -15C then it will be fine.
Geoff.

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12044

• Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Two nice trees,. The Ginko I don't find to be too frost hardy and I would protect it. The apple is not problem, and will be fine. I would just leave it out and as long as the temp does not get below -15C then it will be fine.
Geoff.

I have a Ginkgo and it has been outside for some 20 years (a small tree that I don't dare to call a bonsai - I used completely wrong techniques 20 years ago, but it survived). This means it also has tolerated temperatures of some -20 Celsius.

Not sure about the 'new' Ginkgo though, as it probably is not used to it. I will protect it. Thanks for the advise.

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12047

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

An old colleague of mine called recently and asked if I was interested in two trees.

I really need to get friends like yours. I´d like to have some trees like those given away to me every once in a while

I'm a bit worried - I was told the trees were kept inside in winter. They may not be used to being outside in Winter, I forgot to ask if they were kept in the room or in a cold storage. Not sure if I should leave them outside in winter.

Well, you can always ship them to me here in Spain. I´m sure winter would be warmer than yours :evil:

Now... Seriously, I´m pretty sure your new trees will do just fine. Experience? You have it and is fair to say that probably the touch too. So, I´d say good luck but you wouldn't be needing any. In any case, the right thing to say is: Keep us all posted. I´ll be really interested to follow the progress of your trees.

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12060

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
someone might have already suggested this as i am to lazy to read much of this : LOL : (i have not the time) but could i suggest to acclimatize the trees at winter time if they were kept in a room. also you are quite lucky to get a ginko, they aren't the most common of trees as bonsai.

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12064

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

they aren't the most common of trees as bonsai.

Hm.. I do see them fairly frequently. The main reason for not having them myself is that the wounds don't heal over. So cuts stay, unless made on very thin branches, fo-eva

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12073

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
i hardly see any, so just out of interest, where abouts do you live?

A gift 9 years 7 months ago #12077

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

i hardly see any, so just out of interest, where abouts do you live?

It's all in my profile..

• Page: