Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15674

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Great to hear that that worked!

As before: I always understood that spirals are made over time, extending a small shari to spread over the length of the trunk over a period of years. Maybe because your plant is youngish; Or perhaps all the other suggestions I have read were on the carefull side. I for one am always worried about removing too much bark at once (Which is why one ancient juniper I have, still has the old bark on the trunk, even though large sections have died oof).

Thx for sharing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15680

• Craig
  • Craig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 59
There's just Many ways to achieve a result depending on the tree being worked on at the time .
Also yes alot of methods out there are Old school, considered The way to do things back then, times change.
To understand the tree being worked on at the time is The Most important factor.

I'd really push you to begin working on Your juniper mate. Are you unsure of how to Start? I'd love to see a pic of the trunk in question. Tools such as these hook knives are helpful to start off with.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15684

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You asked for it..

I DID work it. This was about 1 1/2 years ago, after initial styling. I am now waiting for juvinile foliage to stop stressing about (Most of the tree is covered in scale foliage again) and start file-wiring. that is also the point where I will have to bare the died-back bark on the trunk (i removed 75% of the foliage during initial styling, going from a big ball of green ittoigawa foliage, to the image below.

Meanwhile it has been lifted a bit, and repotted in a new pot, and most of the wiring is off by now. So really ready for fine-styling, once the foliage has expanded enough to get some wire on it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15685

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
To be honest, I had not expected this tree to live. Not because of the 'missing' tissue; as I wrote later, that appeared to be just a shadow. I noticed later there is no interruption in the 'spiral', but because of the large amount of material you removed. Guess I'm too careful too :)

I'd love to see a photo, can you make one?

Good tips btw about applying (or rather: not yet applying) jin seal.

BTW:

Firstly this Tree is Not Yamadori or even really old stock. From what I could see it had not lost any major branches and had a fully living trunk.
A tree as this one most usually would not have suffered any dramatic losses in it's short life so would not hve yet developed any Natural Shari beneath it's bark.

The jin/shari on my juniper are not natural.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15692

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

You asked for it..

I DID work it. This was about 1 1/2 years ago, after initial styling. I am now waiting for juvinile foliage to stop stressing about (Most of the tree is covered in scale foliage again) and start file-wiring. that is also the point where I will have to bare the died-back bark on the trunk (i removed 75% of the foliage during initial styling, going from a big ball of green ittoigawa foliage, to the image below.

Meanwhile it has been lifted a bit, and repotted in a new pot, and most of the wiring is off by now. So really ready for fine-styling, once the foliage has expanded enough to get some wire on it.

Sweet, I knew you would have worked the tree already. I looked a few of your posts and see you have many nice Juniper , great work.Time to bite the bullet and begin cleaning the Trunk up now. I am firm believer that all natural existing shari and jins should be cleaned up and exposed before initial styling of the tree as sometimes shari and jin can dictate the flow/direction a tree should be taken. I have alot of difficulty getting anything nice in my parts and we especially do not get yamadori junipers here.I wish.

Auk, I knew that I was just saying that a yamadori or very old juniper would be a different approach and would near always have natural Shari's etc, making a spiral Shari almost impossible. I personally am Not a huge fan of straight Shari's down the trunk, to me they are not usually natural looking enough( with exceptions of course),personal preferences.I take a photo soon for you.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15694

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, I know. We are spoilt in Europe with the variety of plants available. But then again, in Australia you get Malaleuca, Eucalypt and this funny pine-like tree that I cannot remember the name off. Loads of interesting plants in your part of the world. I almost made it to permanent residency about a decade ago. But decided I liked travelling too much, and found Europe to be a better homebase. Sometimes I have a strong desire to pack up and move back to Australia. One of the best places in the world in my view.

Note: This is not a yamadori. It is a japan-bred juniperus, which I baught from a guy who left for a 4 year stint in Japan.

I AM however growing my own juniperus from cuttings. But boy, does it take a long time to get some meat on juniperus trunks. No wonder the prices are over-inflated.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15696

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Auk, I knew that I was just saying that a yamadori or very old juniper would be a different approach

Oh, OK. I understand what you mean now - and you're right.
I'm looking forward to that photo.

BTW, LB, that juni looks nice. I see nice foliage pads developing.

Mallsai- sargent juniper 8 years 10 months ago #15698

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I'm looking forward to that photo.

These were taken only minutes ago,

Cheers.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.